reading tape header locks machine - Veritas

This is a discussion on reading tape header locks machine - Veritas ; Greetings, I'm running an HP C1533A DAT tape drive off of an Adaptec 2940UW controller. The software version is Veritas Backup Exec 4.2.1 upgrade. OS is win98SE (happened under 95 also). When I use BE and try to "identify" a ...

  1. reading tape header locks machine

    Greetings,

    I'm running an HP C1533A DAT tape drive off of an Adaptec 2940UW
    controller. The software version is Veritas Backup Exec 4.2.1 upgrade. OS
    is win98SE (happened under 95 also). When I use BE and try to "identify" a
    tape that was written under FreeBSD with dump, BE locks up the whole
    machine and I have to hit the reset button. This is "not a good thing"
    because I use both windoze and FreeBSD I don't want to have to wipe tapes
    before initializing them for BE.

    Any ideas?

    Mark
    UNIX IS user friendly, it's just very choosy about who it calls a friend!

  2. Re: reading tape header locks machine

    sounds to me you need to use another backup app for cross-compatibilty..
    tar based probably.

    http://www.spiralcomm.com/ (WinTAR) or
    MKS toolkit
    or Yosemite http://www.TapeWare.com but BSD is not Linux is it? (I use this
    for Win32 <==> Linux)

    jk

    "Mark Smith" wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm running an HP C1533A DAT tape drive off of an Adaptec 2940UW
    > controller. The software version is Veritas Backup Exec 4.2.1 upgrade. OS
    > is win98SE (happened under 95 also). When I use BE and try to "identify"

    > tape that was written under FreeBSD with dump, BE locks up the whole
    > machine and I have to hit the reset button. This is "not a good thing"
    > because I use both windoze and FreeBSD I don't want to have to wipe tapes
    > before initializing them for BE.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Mark
    > --
    > ================================================== =======================
    > UNIX IS user friendly, it's just very choosy about who it calls a friend!
    > ================================================== =======================

  3. Re: reading tape header locks machine

    kalev- wrote:

    > sounds to me you need to use another backup app for cross-compatibilty..
    > tar based probably.
    >
    > http://www.spiralcomm.com/ (WinTAR) or
    > MKS toolkit
    > or Yosemite http://www.TapeWare.com but BSD is not Linux is it? (I use this
    > for Win32 <==> Linux)

    GNU TAR is GNU TAR whether on a BSD, HPUX, SUN or LINUX system. Problem
    is, I don't like tar. Dump/restore is much better at restoring blown file
    systems and gives you a half decent front end to pull out individual files,
    etc. I'm checking into an AMANDA type port for windoze.