how does overwrite work? - Veritas

This is a discussion on how does overwrite work? - Veritas ; I'm trying to understand the 'overwrite' feature. I have a tape that's full that I want to re-use. In the backup options I cannot use 'append' because the tape is full. I think 'overwrite' is the choice, and here's my ...

  1. how does overwrite work?

    I'm trying to understand the 'overwrite' feature.

    I have a tape that's full that I want to re-use. In the backup options I
    cannot use 'append' because the tape is full.

    I think 'overwrite' is the choice, and here's my assumption. Can you tell me
    if this is accurate?

    Monday night: backup starts at the beginning of the tape and overwrites
    anything in its way. The backup finishes 1/4 of the way into the tape.

    Tuesday night: backup starts where Monday finished and overwrites its way to
    about 1/2 way into the tape.

    Wednesday night: backup starts where Tuesday finished and overwrites its way
    to about 3/4, etc, etc, etc.

    OR --

    Does it start at the beginning of the tape every night and overwrite each
    previous day?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: how does overwrite work?

    "Mike Green" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to understand the 'overwrite' feature.
    >
    > I have a tape that's full that I want to re-use. In the backup options I
    > cannot use 'append' because the tape is full.
    >
    > I think 'overwrite' is the choice, and here's my assumption. Can you tell me
    > if this is accurate?
    >
    > Monday night: backup starts at the beginning of the tape and overwrites
    > anything in its way. The backup finishes 1/4 of the way into the tape.
    >
    > Tuesday night: backup starts where Monday finished and overwrites its way to
    > about 1/2 way into the tape.
    >
    > Wednesday night: backup starts where Tuesday finished and overwrites its way
    > to about 3/4, etc, etc, etc.

    Backups that "append" use whatever unused portion of any media that they need
    until the media is full.

    > OR --
    >
    > Does it start at the beginning of the tape every night and overwrite each
    > previous day?

    Not unless "overwrite" is the default choice for a backup.

    --
    Live Long and Prosper
    CRH 8^)>

  3. Re: how does overwrite work?

    "Mike Green" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to understand the 'overwrite' feature.
    >
    > I have a tape that's full that I want to re-use. In the backup options I
    > cannot use 'append' because the tape is full.
    >
    > I think 'overwrite' is the choice, and here's my assumption. Can you tell

    me
    > if this is accurate?

    Overwrite will overwrite the tape each and every time if that is the option
    set.

    > Monday night: backup starts at the beginning of the tape and overwrites
    > anything in its way. The backup finishes 1/4 of the way into the tape.

    Overwrites anything in it's way

    > Tuesday night: backup starts where Monday finished and overwrites its way

    > about 1/2 way into the tape.

    Overwrites anything in it's way

    > Wednesday night: backup starts where Tuesday finished and overwrites its

    way
    > to about 3/4, etc, etc, etc.

    Overwrites anything in it's way.

    > OR --
    >
    > Does it start at the beginning of the tape every night and overwrite each
    > previous day?

    Yes. If you've got overwrite set to default for all backups. However what
    you can do is to set it to

    Overwrite on Monday

    Append on Tuesday

    Append on Wednesday

    etc., etc.

    Really though, it would be better to do Total and Incremental/Differential
    backups on seperate media and rotate them.

    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread