Any problems Restoring to FAT32 from a tape backup done from FAT16? - Veritas

This is a discussion on Any problems Restoring to FAT32 from a tape backup done from FAT16? - Veritas ; I plan on upgrading a Windows 95 OSR2 FAT16 (OEM, FAT32 not available) to Windows 98 2nd Edition, to get FAT32. My 6GB hard drive is quite full, and I've purchased a 30GB second drive. I am hoping to do ...

  1. Any problems Restoring to FAT32 from a tape backup done from FAT16?

    I plan on upgrading a Windows 95 OSR2 FAT16 (OEM, FAT32 not available) to
    Windows 98 2nd Edition, to get FAT32. My 6GB hard drive is quite full, and
    I've purchased a 30GB second drive.

    I am hoping to do a Full Backup from my Win95 setup, temporarily delete a
    bunch of files to free up space for the upgrade to Win98, do the upgrade,
    install the new drive, and then Restore the deleted file to a new "FAT32
    home" on the big drive.

    So, I'm wondering if there are any problems Restoring to FAT32 from a tape
    backup done from FAT16, either with the current 4.5 Backup Exec Desktop or
    with the Backup Exec product that was in place when Seagate sold it to
    Veritas?

    I gladly welcome responses from both those who have had no problems and
    those who have had any problems. Thanks in advance.

    Mike

  2. Re: Any problems Restoring to FAT32 from a tape backup done from FAT16?

    "Mike
    > So, I'm wondering if there are any problems Restoring to FAT32 from a tape
    > backup done from FAT16, either with the current 4.5 Backup Exec Desktop or
    > with the Backup Exec product that was in place when Seagate sold it to
    > Veritas?

    FAT32 and FAT16 are having nothing to with the backup/restore. It is just
    the "system" on how the files are stored on the hard-drive. The same files
    are stored on your tape completely different than on a harddrive. So you can
    restore on "any" FAT partition, even on a NTFS (WIN NT) partition.
    Anyway, you can get your "wish" faster:
    -Install the new hard-drive and partition/format it.
    -Copy the whole \windows folder from old drive to new drive. Just copy,
    don't move. You may move other folders containing applications to the new
    drive.
    -Make a system disk with the needed CD-Rom drivers, except you can boot from
    CD and you're having a bootable CD
    -Restart the computer in plain DOS-mode
    -Delete the whole \windows folder on the old drive
    -Re-boot the computer from system-floppy or bootable CD and install WIN98.
    Select FAT32 or change to FAT32 after installing WIN98.
    -When WIN98 is running ok, you can copy/move back the data you need from new
    drive to old drive
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread