BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files - Veritas

This is a discussion on BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files - Veritas ; Running Backup Exec Desktop 4.5 on Win2000 SP1. I run an incremental backup of my C drive and it backs up 3500 files. Estimates 500MB but only backs up 250MB. Immediately run it again and it finds 1700 files to ...

  1. BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files

    Running Backup Exec Desktop 4.5 on Win2000 SP1. I run an incremental backup
    of my C drive and it backs up 3500 files. Estimates 500MB but only backs
    up 250MB. Immediately run it again and it finds 1700 files to back up. Most
    of these are .exe and .dll and the archive bit is not set on the ones I checked.
    Anyone know why so many files are being backed up?

  2. Re: BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files

    What software is running while the backup is running?
    Also disable any auntie virus software during the backup.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup.
    "John" wrote in message news:3a414162$1@hronntp01....

    > Running Backup Exec Desktop 4.5 on Win2000 SP1. I run an incremental

    backup
    > of my C drive and it backs up 3500 files. Estimates 500MB but only backs
    > up 250MB. Immediately run it again and it finds 1700 files to back up.

    Most
    > of these are .exe and .dll and the archive bit is not set on the ones I

    checked.
    > Anyone know why so many files are being backed up?

  3. Re: BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files

    I'm having the same problem, where my incremental (not differential)
    backup is backing up too many files. As an example, here is an
    excerpt from my backup log:

    D:\Program Files\NetMeeting\
    MST120.DLL 247,568 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    MST123.DLL 39,696 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    callcont.dll 392,976 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    cb32.exe 4,880 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    conf.exe 659,216 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    confmrsl.dll 32,016 12/7/1999 6:00AM

    The archive bit isn't set on any of these files, yet they repeatedly
    get backed up each night. I've disabled my anti-virus software, and
    there's nothing else running at the time of the backup. I don't use
    NetMeeting, and I haven't applied any O/S patches recently that
    might've caused these files to get modified.

    There are hundreds of such files, mostly .exes and .dlls, which appear
    in the nightly incremental backup.

    Using Win2K Pro SP1, BE Desktop 4.5. Anyone have a possible
    explanation for this behavior?

    Thanks.

    Tracy

    "John" wrote in message

    > Running Backup Exec Desktop 4.5 on Win2000 SP1. I run an incremental
    > backup
    > of my C drive and it backs up 3500 files. Estimates 500MB but only backs
    > up 250MB. Immediately run it again and it finds 1700 files to back up.
    > Most
    > of these are .exe and .dll and the archive bit is not set on the ones I
    > checked.
    > Anyone know why so many files are being backed up?

  4. Re: BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files

    Off the top of my head (I've not really looked at it) I'd say it could be
    something to do with backing up the "system state" as these are all system
    files.

    In W2K, Netmeeting is part of the OS (you can't install W2K without it and
    you can't remove it).

    "Tracy LaFleur" wrote in message
    > I'm having the same problem, where my incremental (not differential)
    > backup is backing up too many files. As an example, here is an
    > excerpt from my backup log:
    >
    > D:\Program Files\NetMeeting\
    > MST120.DLL 247,568 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > MST123.DLL 39,696 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > callcont.dll 392,976 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > cb32.exe 4,880 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > conf.exe 659,216 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > confmrsl.dll 32,016 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >
    > The archive bit isn't set on any of these files, yet they repeatedly
    > get backed up each night. I've disabled my anti-virus software, and
    > there's nothing else running at the time of the backup. I don't use
    > NetMeeting, and I haven't applied any O/S patches recently that
    > might've caused these files to get modified.
    >
    > There are hundreds of such files, mostly .exes and .dlls, which appear
    > in the nightly incremental backup.
    >
    > Using Win2K Pro SP1, BE Desktop 4.5. Anyone have a possible
    > explanation for this behavior?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tracy
    >

    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:12:52 -0500, "Howard Kaikow"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What software is running while the backup is running?
    > >Also disable any auntie virus software during the backup.

    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup.
    > "John" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Running Backup Exec Desktop 4.5 on Win2000 SP1. I run an incremental
    > > backup
    > > of my C drive and it backs up 3500 files. Estimates 500MB but only backs
    > > up 250MB. Immediately run it again and it finds 1700 files to back up.
    > > Most
    > > of these are .exe and .dll and the archive bit is not set on the ones I
    > > checked.
    > > Anyone know why so many files are being backed up?

  5. Re: BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files

    Steve, you hit the nail on the head. Never would've thought of that
    one. I turned off the "System State" backup and the backup picked up
    just the files it should've.

    Thanks for your response!

    Tracy

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:40:00 -0000, "Steve Renouf"
    wrote:

    >Off the top of my head (I've not really looked at it) I'd say it could be
    >something to do with backing up the "system state" as these are all system
    >files.
    >
    >In W2K, Netmeeting is part of the OS (you can't install W2K without it and
    >you can't remove it).
    >

    >"Tracy LaFleur" wrote in message
    >> I'm having the same problem, where my incremental (not differential)
    >> backup is backing up too many files. As an example, here is an
    >> excerpt from my backup log:
    >>
    >> D:\Program Files\NetMeeting\
    >> MST120.DLL 247,568 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >> MST123.DLL 39,696 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >> callcont.dll 392,976 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >> cb32.exe 4,880 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >> conf.exe 659,216 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >> confmrsl.dll 32,016 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    >>
    >> The archive bit isn't set on any of these files, yet they repeatedly
    >> get backed up each night. I've disabled my anti-virus software, and
    >> there's nothing else running at the time of the backup. I don't use
    >> NetMeeting, and I haven't applied any O/S patches recently that
    >> might've caused these files to get modified.
    >>
    >> There are hundreds of such files, mostly .exes and .dlls, which appear
    >> in the nightly incremental backup.
    >>
    >> Using Win2K Pro SP1, BE Desktop 4.5. Anyone have a possible
    >> explanation for this behavior?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Tracy
    >>

    >> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:12:52 -0500, "Howard Kaikow"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >What software is running while the backup is running?
    >> >Also disable any auntie virus software during the backup.

    >> --
    >> Please post your response to the newsgroup.
    >> "John" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Running Backup Exec Desktop 4.5 on Win2000 SP1. I run an incremental
    >> > backup
    >> > of my C drive and it backs up 3500 files. Estimates 500MB but only backs
    >> > up 250MB. Immediately run it again and it finds 1700 files to back up.
    >> > Most
    >> > of these are .exe and .dll and the archive bit is not set on the ones I
    >> > checked.
    >> > Anyone know why so many files are being backed up?

  6. Re: BED 4.5 Incremental backup doing too many files

    Glad to have been of help.

    > Steve, you hit the nail on the head. Never would've thought of that
    > one. I turned off the "System State" backup and the backup picked up
    > just the files it should've.
    >
    > Thanks for your response!
    >
    > Tracy
    >

    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:40:00 -0000, "Steve Renouf"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Off the top of my head (I've not really looked at it) I'd say it could be
    > >something to do with backing up the "system state" as these are all

    system
    > >files.
    > >
    > >In W2K, Netmeeting is part of the OS (you can't install W2K without it

    and
    > >you can't remove it).
    > >

    > >"Tracy LaFleur" wrote in message
    > >> I'm having the same problem, where my incremental (not differential)
    > >> backup is backing up too many files. As an example, here is an
    > >> excerpt from my backup log:
    > >>
    > >> D:\Program Files\NetMeeting\
    > >> MST120.DLL 247,568 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > >> MST123.DLL 39,696 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > >> callcont.dll 392,976 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > >> cb32.exe 4,880 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > >> conf.exe 659,216 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > >> confmrsl.dll 32,016 12/7/1999 6:00AM
    > >>
    > >> The archive bit isn't set on any of these files, yet they repeatedly
    > >> get backed up each night. I've disabled my anti-virus software, and
    > >> there's nothing else running at the time of the backup. I don't use
    > >> NetMeeting, and I haven't applied any O/S patches recently that
    > >> might've caused these files to get modified.
    > >>
    > >> There are hundreds of such files, mostly .exes and .dlls, which appear
    > >> in the nightly incremental backup.
    > >>
    > >> Using Win2K Pro SP1, BE Desktop 4.5. Anyone have a possible
    > >> explanation for this behavior?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Tracy

    > >> --
    > >> Please post your response to the newsgroup.
    > >> "John" wrote in message

    backs

    up.

+ Reply to Thread