Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME - Veritas

This is a discussion on Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME - Veritas ; Ok. First off I don't know the exact version of the software on the Windows 2000 machine. I will get that tomorrow. However, when I try to access that tape on the Windows ME box (Backup Exec v4.2.1 (SRS)) I ...

  1. Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME

    Ok. First off I don't know the exact version of the software on the
    Windows 2000 machine. I will get that tomorrow. However, when I try
    to access that tape on the Windows ME box (Backup Exec v4.2.1 (SRS)) I
    get the following message "The device recieved an invalid command.
    Ref:05-20-20-00-8081"

    Does anyone haev any input on what exactly this means and should I be
    able to read this tape?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME

    First thing is first.
    1. Your version of software doen't support either of those Operation
    systems.
    2. what kind of drive is it?? (make, model, connection (ide, scsi, etc.),
    media)
    3. if it's scsi, what kind of card do you have.
    4. your referance number is reporting that the drive recieved an unkown
    command and I can't figure out the rest cause it's a manufacturer error
    code.

    Chris

    "Joe Weaver" wrote in message
    > Ok. First off I don't know the exact version of the software on the
    > Windows 2000 machine. I will get that tomorrow. However, when I try
    > to access that tape on the Windows ME box (Backup Exec v4.2.1 (SRS)) I
    > get the following message "The device recieved an invalid command.
    > Ref:05-20-20-00-8081"
    >
    > Does anyone haev any input on what exactly this means and should I be
    > able to read this tape?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  3. Re: Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME

    Well, it's what came with the system. Is there a version for Windows
    ME? It seems to work fine except for not being able to read the tapes
    made on the Win2000 machine.

    The drive at home (WinME) is an IDE drive. Tapestore 2800.

    The drive at work is listed as a Segate STT20000A in the device
    manager. The software version is Backup Exec, Version 4.4 (SRS)

    Does that help any? Thanks, by the way!

    "Chris" wrote:

    >First thing is first.
    >1. Your version of software doen't support either of those Operation
    >systems.
    >2. what kind of drive is it?? (make, model, connection (ide, scsi, etc.),
    >media)
    >3. if it's scsi, what kind of card do you have.
    >4. your referance number is reporting that the drive recieved an unkown
    >command and I can't figure out the rest cause it's a manufacturer error
    >code.
    >

    >Chris
    >

    >"Joe Weaver" wrote in message
    >> Ok. First off I don't know the exact version of the software on the
    >> Windows 2000 machine. I will get that tomorrow. However, when I try
    >> to access that tape on the Windows ME box (Backup Exec v4.2.1 (SRS)) I
    >> get the following message "The device recieved an invalid command.
    >> Ref:05-20-20-00-8081"
    >>
    >> Does anyone haev any input on what exactly this means and should I be
    >> able to read this tape?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

  4. Re: Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME

    Yes that helps a lot. For some reason HP and Seagate don't play well
    together when trying to swap tapes between them. I don't know how and I
    don't know why this problem happens, but it does. I run into it all the
    time. It really seems to be HP's fault. If you use one of thier drives to
    write to a tape and then try to use it in a Seagate model it won't work. I'd
    try finding anouther tape drive at work that is the same vendor as the one
    you have at home. Besides that, I don't know what else to do.

    "JustJoe" wrote in message
    news:3a0c2d57.360204640@news.support.veritas.com.. .
    > Well, it's what came with the system. Is there a version for Windows
    > ME? It seems to work fine except for not being able to read the tapes
    > made on the Win2000 machine.
    >
    > The drive at home (WinME) is an IDE drive. Tapestore 2800.
    >
    > The drive at work is listed as a Segate STT20000A in the device
    > manager. The software version is Backup Exec, Version 4.4 (SRS)
    >
    > Does that help any? Thanks, by the way!
    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    >
    > >First thing is first.
    > >1. Your version of software doen't support either of those Operation
    > >systems.
    > >2. what kind of drive is it?? (make, model, connection (ide, scsi, etc.),
    > >media)
    > >3. if it's scsi, what kind of card do you have.
    > >4. your referance number is reporting that the drive recieved an unkown
    > >command and I can't figure out the rest cause it's a manufacturer error
    > >code.
    > >

    > >Chris
    > >

    > >"Joe Weaver" wrote in message
    > >> Ok. First off I don't know the exact version of the software on the
    > >> Windows 2000 machine. I will get that tomorrow. However, when I try
    > >> to access that tape on the Windows ME box (Backup Exec v4.2.1 (SRS)) I
    > >> get the following message "The device recieved an invalid command.
    > >> Ref:05-20-20-00-8081"
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone haev any input on what exactly this means and should I be
    > >> able to read this tape?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance

  5. Re: Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME

    Where'd HP come into this? Both drives are Segate. The PC at work is
    a Dell and the one at home a mail order generic system.

    "Chris" wrote:

    >Yes that helps a lot. For some reason HP and Seagate don't play well
    >together when trying to swap tapes between them. I don't know how and I
    >don't know why this problem happens, but it does. I run into it all the
    >time. It really seems to be HP's fault. If you use one of thier drives to
    >write to a tape and then try to use it in a Seagate model it won't work. I'd
    >try finding anouther tape drive at work that is the same vendor as the one
    >you have at home. Besides that, I don't know what else to do.
    >

    >"JustJoe" wrote in message
    >news:3a0c2d57.360204640@news.support.veritas.com.. .
    >> Well, it's what came with the system. Is there a version for Windows
    >> ME? It seems to work fine except for not being able to read the tapes
    >> made on the Win2000 machine.
    >>
    >> The drive at home (WinME) is an IDE drive. Tapestore 2800.
    >>
    >> The drive at work is listed as a Segate STT20000A in the device
    >> manager. The software version is Backup Exec, Version 4.4 (SRS)
    >>
    >> Does that help any? Thanks, by the way!
    >>
    >> "Chris" wrote:
    >>
    >> >First thing is first.
    >> >1. Your version of software doen't support either of those Operation
    >> >systems.
    >> >2. what kind of drive is it?? (make, model, connection (ide, scsi, etc.),
    >> >media)
    >> >3. if it's scsi, what kind of card do you have.
    >> >4. your referance number is reporting that the drive recieved an unkown
    >> >command and I can't figure out the rest cause it's a manufacturer error
    >> >code.
    >> >

    >> >Chris
    >> >

    >> >"Joe Weaver" wrote in message

  6. Re: Can't access Tape made on Windows 2000 on Windows ME

    oops, my bad, got this one mixed up w/ anouther message in anouther group.
    sorry.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread