Cannot backup - Veritas

This is a discussion on Cannot backup - Veritas ; Backup Exec Desktop 4.5. Trying to back up to CD-RW media. I get through 3-5 CD's and the backup fails. Keeps saying either the media is bad, or the hard drive has errors. I've had this product for a month, ...

  1. Cannot backup

    Backup Exec Desktop 4.5. Trying to back up to CD-RW media. I get through
    3-5 CD's and the backup fails. Keeps saying either the media is bad, or
    the hard drive has errors. I've had this product for a month, and am getting
    really tired of all this fuss. What's the trick?

  2. Re: Cannot backup

    "Lori Wist" wrote:

    >Backup Exec Desktop 4.5. Trying to back up to CD-RW media. I get through
    >3-5 CD's and the backup fails. Keeps saying either the media is bad, or
    >the hard drive has errors. I've had this product for a month, and am getting
    >really tired of all this fuss. What's the trick?

    Hello Lore; I suggest try these three things.
    One, check the compatability list for your CD-Writer model.
    Two, do not format discs by any means before hand.
    This is especially important if you also run Adaptec software.
    Use a brand new unformatted CD-RW disc, and do not insert it until Backup
    Exec asks for the disc.
    Once initially formatted by BE, it should be usable every time thereafter.
    I leave the disc in the open tray until Backup Exec asks for a disc.
    Adaptec, much as I like it, tends to grab new discs and formats them right
    off.
    The result is not compatable with BE.
    Three; I find it essential to have all background programs disabled.
    There are several methods and programs to help achieve this.
    For my use, I find the Startup Manager packaged with WinBench 99 benchmark
    to be ideal.
    Good luck.
    Many folks have been frustrated in attempts to use CD-RW.
    The first essential is a supported model of CD writer.
    Regards Frank

  3. Re: Cannot backup

    "Frank Dwyer" wrote:

    >"Lori Wist" wrote:
    >>
    >>Backup Exec Desktop 4.5. Trying to back up to CD-RW media. I get through
    >>3-5 CD's and the backup fails. Keeps saying either the media is bad, or
    >>the hard drive has errors. I've had this product for a month, and am getting
    >>really tired of all this fuss. What's the trick?

    >Hello Lore; I suggest try these three things.
    >One, check the compatability list for your CD-Writer model.
    >Two, do not format discs by any means before hand.
    >This is especially important if you also run Adaptec software.
    >Use a brand new unformatted CD-RW disc, and do not insert it until Backup
    >Exec asks for the disc.
    >Once initially formatted by BE, it should be usable every time thereafter.
    >I leave the disc in the open tray until Backup Exec asks for a disc.
    >Adaptec, much as I like it, tends to grab new discs and formats them right
    >off.
    >The result is not compatable with BE.
    >Three; I find it essential to have all background programs disabled.
    >There are several methods and programs to help achieve this.
    >For my use, I find the Startup Manager packaged with WinBench 99 benchmark
    >to be ideal.
    >Good luck.
    >Many folks have been frustrated in attempts to use CD-RW.
    >The first essential is a supported model of CD writer.
    >Regards Frank
    >Hi Lori: Sorry for mispelling your first name.

    I should have mentioned that I use Backup Exec Desktop 98.
    Perhaps there are different aspects to Desktop ver 4.5.
    Someone else might add helpful comments.
    Frank

  4. Re: Cannot backup

    Hello all,

    I have a similar problem: my very first two attempts to make a backup using
    my brand new Backup Exec Desktop v4.5 on my NT workstation burning on a
    CD-Writable stop during CD 1 saying "a deleted block was detected on the
    media".

    The screen showed that at the time it was working on
    d:/winnt/repair/software._ so what I've done is delete the visible files in
    that directory. Hopefully that helps...

    Best regards,

    Frans
    frans@iaf.nl

    Lori Wist wrote in message

    > Backup Exec Desktop 4.5. Trying to back up to CD-RW media. I get through
    > 3-5 CD's and the backup fails. Keeps saying either the media is bad, or
    > the hard drive has errors. I've had this product for a month, and am

    getting
    > really tired of all this fuss. What's the trick?

  5. A deleted block was detected on the media

    Hello,

    Well, deleting that directory where the backup halted didn't help, it halts
    domewhere else now.

    The full report.txt is:

    Job Name: 16-03-2001

    Backup Job Started - 16/03/2001 7:10:09PM
    Skipped File: D:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackice-service.log
    - busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped.
    Skipped File: D:\Program Files\WinRoute Lite\stat.dat - busy or in use by
    another application, it will be skipped.
    Skipped File: D:\Program Files\WinRoute Lite\logs\dial.log - busy or in use
    by another application, it will be skipped.
    Skipped File: D:\Program Files\WinRoute Lite\logs\error.log - busy or in
    use by another application, it will be skipped.
    Error: D:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or volume
    label syntax is incorrect.
    Registry has been backed up.
    Error: An error occurred while writing the backup data.
    A deleted block was detected on the media. (07-05-23-01-3B0F)

    Operation Completed - No ( Cancelled )
    Backup Job Ended - 16/03/2001 8:00:57PM

    //////////////////////
    "Frans Goddijn" wrote:
    >I have a similar problem: my very first two attempts to make a backup using
    >my brand new Backup Exec Desktop v4.5 on my NT workstation burning on a
    >CD-Writable stop during CD 1 saying "a deleted block was detected on the
    >media".
    >
    >The screen showed that at the time it was working on
    >d:/winnt/repair/software._ so what I've done is delete the visible files

    in
    >that directory. Hopefully that helps...

+ Reply to Thread