The problem and the fix <whew> - Veritas

This is a discussion on The problem and the fix <whew> - Veritas ; User (me): I use Backup Exec here at home on two other machines and at work on 1 client. I'm very familiar with the behavior of BE. This drive is brand new, installed yesterday. Hardware: TapeStor model STT220000A-RFT, AMD K6-2/475 ...

  1. The problem and the fix <whew>

    User (me):

    I use Backup Exec here at home on two other machines and at work on 1
    client. I'm very familiar with the behavior of BE. This drive is brand
    new, installed yesterday.

    Hardware: TapeStor model STT220000A-RFT, AMD K6-2/475

    Software: Windows ME, Veritas Backup Exec, ver 4.2.1 (SRS). Build 240B72A

    Problem:

    The software goes through all the motions of doing the Backup process but
    stops at the point where files should begin writing to the tape. i.e. there
    is no tape movement. At the point that writing files on the tape drive
    should begin, the software/hardware goes to sleep. If I 'end task' whatever
    BE window is on-screen will disappear but the BE*.EXE never unloads from
    memory (I can see it still in memory with a memory peeker I use).

    Symptoms:

    The DOS and Windows versions of the tape diagnostics (Seatools and
    SGTAPE21.EXE) work fine. They both report the drive is working as it
    should.

    Retention works fine.

    Identify reports the tape media as not initialized. It isn't, this is fine.

    Security Erase: The process starts and runs fine but never stops. I started
    it when I went to work yesterday. The on screen update stopped at 12 hours,
    45 minutes and there was no tape activity. There was, according to my
    friend, tape activity all day while I was at work.

    Erase: Asks user to enter file name. I click ok to use the default (see
    attached). Erase progress clock works but there is no tape activity (see
    attached). If I click Cancel, the clock continues to run but the task never
    ends.

    Backup: The behavior is the same as Erase above.

    ================= The solution ================

    After four hours of trying to diagnose this problem I finally got to Control
    Panel/System/Device Manager/Tape Drives/Properties. The DMA box was
    checked. I unchecked it, re-booted and the backup and all other functions
    ran fine.

    I wish there were an easier way to diagnose this kind of thing.

    Don

  2. Re: The problem and the fix <whew>

    "Don Dawson" wrote:
    >User (me):
    >
    >I use Backup Exec here at home on two other machines and at work on 1
    >client. I'm very familiar with the behavior of BE. This drive is brand
    >new, installed yesterday.
    >
    >Hardware: TapeStor model STT220000A-RFT, AMD K6-2/475
    >
    >Software: Windows ME, Veritas Backup Exec, ver 4.2.1 (SRS). Build 240B72A
    >
    >Problem:
    >
    >The software goes through all the motions of doing the Backup process but
    >stops at the point where files should begin writing to the tape. i.e. there
    >is no tape movement. At the point that writing files on the tape drive
    >should begin, the software/hardware goes to sleep. If I 'end task' whatever
    >BE window is on-screen will disappear but the BE*.EXE never unloads from
    >memory (I can see it still in memory with a memory peeker I use).
    >
    >Symptoms:
    >
    >The DOS and Windows versions of the tape diagnostics (Seatools and
    >SGTAPE21.EXE) work fine. They both report the drive is working as it
    >should.
    >
    >Retention works fine.
    >
    >Identify reports the tape media as not initialized. It isn't, this is fine.
    >
    >Security Erase: The process starts and runs fine but never stops. I started
    >it when I went to work yesterday. The on screen update stopped at 12 hours,
    >45 minutes and there was no tape activity. There was, according to my
    >friend, tape activity all day while I was at work.
    >
    >Erase: Asks user to enter file name. I click ok to use the default (see
    >attached). Erase progress clock works but there is no tape activity (see
    >attached). If I click Cancel, the clock continues to run but the task never
    >ends.
    >
    >Backup: The behavior is the same as Erase above.
    >
    >================= The solution ================
    >
    >After four hours of trying to diagnose this problem I finally got to Control
    >Panel/System/Device Manager/Tape Drives/Properties. The DMA box was
    >checked. I unchecked it, re-booted and the backup and all other functions
    >ran fine.
    >

    >I wish there were an easier way to diagnose this kind of thing.
    >
    >Don

  3. Re: The problem and the fix <whew>

    Don:
    I am running into a similar problem. Only I am using Seagate Backup ver
    5.1.3 in Windows 95. It had been working fine for about three months and
    then all of a sudden it decided not work. It has been puzzling. I will
    try your solution and see if I can get it to work. Otherwise I am going
    to advise the client to purchase a new computer that is not 6 years old.

    "Rick Meyer"

    "Don Dawson" wrote:
    >User (me):
    >
    >I use Backup Exec here at home on two other machines and at work on 1
    >client. I'm very familiar with the behavior of BE. This drive is brand
    >new, installed yesterday.
    >
    >Hardware: TapeStor model STT220000A-RFT, AMD K6-2/475
    >
    >Software: Windows ME, Veritas Backup Exec, ver 4.2.1 (SRS). Build 240B72A
    >
    >Problem:
    >
    >The software goes through all the motions of doing the Backup process but
    >stops at the point where files should begin writing to the tape. i.e. there
    >is no tape movement. At the point that writing files on the tape drive
    >should begin, the software/hardware goes to sleep. If I 'end task' whatever
    >BE window is on-screen will disappear but the BE*.EXE never unloads from
    >memory (I can see it still in memory with a memory peeker I use).
    >
    >Symptoms:
    >
    >The DOS and Windows versions of the tape diagnostics (Seatools and
    >SGTAPE21.EXE) work fine. They both report the drive is working as it
    >should.
    >
    >Retention works fine.
    >
    >Identify reports the tape media as not initialized. It isn't, this is fine.
    >
    >Security Erase: The process starts and runs fine but never stops. I started
    >it when I went to work yesterday. The on screen update stopped at 12 hours,
    >45 minutes and there was no tape activity. There was, according to my
    >friend, tape activity all day while I was at work.
    >
    >Erase: Asks user to enter file name. I click ok to use the default (see
    >attached). Erase progress clock works but there is no tape activity (see
    >attached). If I click Cancel, the clock continues to run but the task never
    >ends.
    >
    >Backup: The behavior is the same as Erase above.

    >After four hours of trying to diagnose this problem I finally got to Control
    >Panel/System/Device Manager/Tape Drives/Properties. The DMA box was
    >checked. I unchecked it, re-booted and the backup and all other functions
    >ran fine.
    >

    >I wish there were an easier way to diagnose this kind of thing.
    >
    >Don

+ Reply to Thread