Tapes gone, CD-RW gone, backup is gone - Veritas

This is a discussion on Tapes gone, CD-RW gone, backup is gone - Veritas ; Before upgrading from Win95 to 98SE, including total reformatting and repartitioning,I made two full systems backup on OnStream DI30-tapes and a couple of CD-RW backups on the important files. Luckily I did make "straight" CR-R's too, cause after the installation ...

  1. Tapes gone, CD-RW gone, backup is gone

    Before upgrading from Win95 to 98SE, including total
    reformatting and repartitioning,I made two full systems backup
    on OnStream DI30-tapes and a couple of CD-RW backups on the
    important files.

    Luckily I did make "straight" CR-R's too, cause after the installation procedure,
    Backup Exec (4.2.1) stated that the tapes where not initialized and the CD-RW's
    contained no backups. Before the installation, I did check both tapes and
    all
    CD-RW's to ensure that they could recover the files.

    No harm done, I did survive this time, but what happend, can I happend again
    and can I trust Backup Exec in the future? Is there a walkaround the initialization
    problem?

  2. Re: Tapes gone, CD-RW gone, backup is gone

    Backup Exec v4.x does not support the Onstream drives
    check out the following link:

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnot...edt/194403.htm

    "Eddie" wrote:

    >Before upgrading from Win95 to 98SE, including total
    >reformatting and repartitioning,I made two full systems backup
    >on OnStream DI30-tapes and a couple of CD-RW backups on the
    >important files.
    >
    >Luckily I did make "straight" CR-R's too, cause after the installation procedure,
    >Backup Exec (4.2.1) stated that the tapes where not initialized and the

    CD-RW's
    >contained no backups. Before the installation, I did check both tapes and
    >all
    >CD-RW's to ensure that they could recover the files.
    >
    >No harm done, I did survive this time, but what happend, can I happend again
    >and can I trust Backup Exec in the future? Is there a walkaround the initialization
    >problem?

  3. Re: Tapes gone, CD-RW gone, backup is gone

    Yes I know Magnum, but this dosen't hinder the function, as long as you stay
    out from compressing etc. Look at all disscussions taken place earlier in
    Veritas forums concerning OnStream. Lots of people do use OnStream from BE.
    And I have succesfully used it for quite a long time now, but only made minor
    restores, all successful, though. I doubt that the uncompability is the cause
    for loosing the files. It seems to me rather like BE does identify media
    in another way from Win98 than Win95.

    Besides the CD-RW's was (quite understandable) not made with the OnStream.

    Do anyone have a better guess? Any experience from upgrading Windows between
    backup and restore?

    "magnum" wrote:

    >Backup Exec v4.x does not support the Onstream drives
    >check out the following link:
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnot...edt/194403.htm
    >
    >"Eddie" wrote:
    >>
    >>Before upgrading from Win95 to 98SE, including total
    >>reformatting and repartitioning,I made two full systems backup
    >>on OnStream DI30-tapes and a couple of CD-RW backups on the
    >>important files.
    >>
    >>Luckily I did make "straight" CR-R's too, cause after the installation

    procedure,
    >>Backup Exec (4.2.1) stated that the tapes where not initialized and the

    >CD-RW's
    >>contained no backups. Before the installation, I did check both tapes and
    >>all
    >>CD-RW's to ensure that they could recover the files.
    >>
    >>No harm done, I did survive this time, but what happend, can I happend

    again
    >>and can I trust Backup Exec in the future? Is there a walkaround the initialization
    >>problem?

+ Reply to Thread