How do I specify backup device in Config.sys? - Veritas

This is a discussion on How do I specify backup device in Config.sys? - Veritas ; I just purchased Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 and want to prepare a Disaster Recovery backup set and disk. I ran the Disaster Recovery Wizard and after clicking through a few preparatory screens, it now asks me to enter a ...

  1. How do I specify backup device in Config.sys?

    I just purchased Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 and want to prepare a Disaster
    Recovery backup set and disk. I ran the Disaster Recovery Wizard and after
    clicking through a few preparatory screens, it now asks me to enter a
    command line to be added to my Config.sys file to make sure that the CD-RW
    drive I want to use for backup is recognized in DOS. But surprisingly, it
    offers no help in composing such a line. Can anyone tell me what to put
    there? I currently have hard drives C, D, and E (three logical partitions
    of a single physical drive), CD-Rom drive F, and my new HP 8200e CD-Writer
    which Windows 98 recognizes as drive G. When I do a restart in DOS mode,
    all these drives are recognized in DOS except drive G. So I obviously have
    to add or modify a line in Config.sys. Can someone advise me how to do
    that? Here is my current Config.sys file:

    LASTDRIVE=Z
    DEVICE=c:\es1938.sys
    DEVICE=\DEV\TAISATAP.SYS /D:MSCD000 /N:1
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

    I'd truly appreciate it. I've never quite understood how the Config.sys
    file worked...

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Garret Swayne
    garretswayne@usa.net
    http://www.garretswayne.com
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

  2. Re: How do I specify backup device in Config.sys?

    Hi;
    Disaster recovery will not work with USB devices, USB devices do not
    work under DOS.

    "Garret Swayne" wrote in message
    > I just purchased Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 and want to prepare a

    Disaster
    > Recovery backup set and disk. I ran the Disaster Recovery Wizard and

    after
    > clicking through a few preparatory screens, it now asks me to enter a
    > command line to be added to my Config.sys file to make sure that the CD-RW
    > drive I want to use for backup is recognized in DOS. But surprisingly, it
    > offers no help in composing such a line. Can anyone tell me what to put
    > there? I currently have hard drives C, D, and E (three logical partitions
    > of a single physical drive), CD-Rom drive F, and my new HP 8200e CD-Writer
    > which Windows 98 recognizes as drive G. When I do a restart in DOS mode,
    > all these drives are recognized in DOS except drive G. So I obviously

    have
    > to add or modify a line in Config.sys. Can someone advise me how to do
    > that? Here is my current Config.sys file:
    >
    > LASTDRIVE=Z
    > DEVICE=c:\es1938.sys
    > DEVICE=\DEV\TAISATAP.SYS /D:MSCD000 /N:1
    > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    >
    > I'd truly appreciate it. I've never quite understood how the Config.sys
    > file worked...
    >

    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    > Garret Swayne
    > garretswayne@usa.net
    > http://www.garretswayne.com
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

  3. Re: How do I specify backup device in Config.sys?

    You can check the Manufacturer's WEB Site to see if they have the DOS
    Drivers. If they do, the drivers are usually self installing (install
    program).

    > I just purchased Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 and want to prepare a

    Disaster
    > Recovery backup set and disk. I ran the Disaster Recovery Wizard and

    after
    > clicking through a few preparatory screens, it now asks me to enter a
    > command line to be added to my Config.sys file to make sure that the

    CD-RW
    > drive I want to use for backup is recognized in DOS. But surprisingly,

    it
    > offers no help in composing such a line. Can anyone tell me what to put
    > there? I currently have hard drives C, D, and E (three logical

    partitions
    > of a single physical drive), CD-Rom drive F, and my new HP 8200e

    CD-Writer
    > which Windows 98 recognizes as drive G. When I do a restart in DOS

    mode,
    > all these drives are recognized in DOS except drive G. So I obviously

    have
    > to add or modify a line in Config.sys. Can someone advise me how to do
    > that? Here is my current Config.sys file:
    >
    > LASTDRIVE=Z
    > DEVICE=c:\es1938.sys
    > DEVICE=\DEV\TAISATAP.SYS /D:MSCD000 /N:1
    > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    >
    > I'd truly appreciate it. I've never quite understood how the Config.sys
    > file worked...

    > Garret Swayne
    > garretswayne@usa.net
    > http://www.garretswayne.com