Restore problem - Veritas

This is a discussion on Restore problem - Veritas ; I used Backup Exec 4.4.1 to backup several crucial files. I saved the backup to my desktop, then burned the *.qic file to a CD-RW using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.02d. Now, when I try to restore the files I ...

  1. Restore problem

    I used Backup Exec 4.4.1 to backup several crucial files. I saved the
    backup to my desktop, then burned the *.qic file to a CD-RW using Adaptec
    Easy CD Creator 4.02d.

    Now, when I try to restore the files I get the following error "An error
    occurred while retrieving the backup directory. A defective or damaged area
    was detected on the media. (07-03-2A-00-0017)". This error occurs during
    the "creating temporary catalogue" process.

    Am I screwed here, or is there some way to salvage some of this data. What
    do all those numbers mean?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Restore problem

    I'm experiencing a similar problem.
    I burned a backup directly onto CDRW spanned over 2 CDRW. When disaster
    struck, I wasn't to concerned since I had a current backup of my data. When
    trying to restore the data, I received the following error message:

    "An error occurred while retrieving the backup directory. A defective or
    damaged area was detected on the media. (07-03-23-01-1105)".

    The second CDRW of the set restored without problems. I managed to copy the
    *.qic file of the first CDRW onto my hard drive and it appears that only the
    last MB or so is damaged. Unfortunately I'm getting error messages like
    "media not formatted correctly" when I try to restore directly from the
    file.
    Using NERO I created an image of the CDRW and copied that onto a new CDRW.
    When trying to restore from there, I get the following message:

    "Unable to read a portion of this media. The recovery process should be
    run,however this may take several minutes and require modifications to the
    media. Do you want to recover or repair the media now?"

    After clicking yes and the system working away for quite a while, it ejects
    the CDRW with the following message:

    "Unexpected command completion.[00-00-00-00-0000] Please insert another
    media to continue."

    No matter what I do after this, the restore process is always cancelled.

    I could perhaps recreate some of the files, but some other files are crucial
    to me. Therefore any help in getting at least parts of this data restored
    would be most appreciated.

    Christof
    Keith wrote in message
    > I used Backup Exec 4.4.1 to backup several crucial files. I saved the
    > backup to my desktop, then burned the *.qic file to a CD-RW using Adaptec
    > Easy CD Creator 4.02d.
    >
    > Now, when I try to restore the files I get the following error "An error
    > occurred while retrieving the backup directory. A defective or damaged

    area
    > was detected on the media. (07-03-2A-00-0017)". This error occurs during
    > the "creating temporary catalogue" process.
    >
    > Am I screwed here, or is there some way to salvage some of this data.

    What
    > do all those numbers mean?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread