Spanning Multiple CD-RW disks - Veritas

This is a discussion on Spanning Multiple CD-RW disks - Veritas ; I am having trouble when spanning multiple CD-RW disks. The first disk completes correctly, then calls for another. I insert another disk that has been pre-formatted by Backup Exec and the system first asks for a media name (although the ...

  1. Spanning Multiple CD-RW disks

    I am having trouble when spanning multiple CD-RW disks. The first disk completes
    correctly, then calls for another. I insert another disk that has been pre-formatted
    by Backup Exec and the system first asks for a media name (although the media
    already has a name) because I think it is unable to determine that a good
    disk is in the drive and prepares to format it. It then aborts with a device
    error. Archived files are not marked for the disk that has completed because
    that operation is done at the end.

    I have shut down all software that automatically runs, including virus checkers,
    etc. I did notice that the Adaptec Direct CD software checks newly installed
    CDs and am wondering whether it is the cause of the problem. If so, then
    this is a problem as it needs to install during system boot and doesn't seem
    to be able to be shut off or aborted.

    I am using a SONY CD-RW drive in a Dell system.

    Any advice?

  2. Re: Spanning Multiple CD-RW disks

    What is the exact model of the CD-RW drive that you are using? What version
    of Backup Exec are you using? please be specific.

    "Stan" wrote:

    >I am having trouble when spanning multiple CD-RW disks. The first disk

    completes
    >correctly, then calls for another. I insert another disk that has been

    pre-formatted
    >by Backup Exec and the system first asks for a media name (although the

    media
    >already has a name) because I think it is unable to determine that a good
    >disk is in the drive and prepares to format it. It then aborts with a device
    >error. Archived files are not marked for the disk that has completed because
    >that operation is done at the end.
    >
    >I have shut down all software that automatically runs, including virus checkers,
    >etc. I did notice that the Adaptec Direct CD software checks newly installed
    >CDs and am wondering whether it is the cause of the problem. If so, then
    >this is a problem as it needs to install during system boot and doesn't

    seem
    >to be able to be shut off or aborted.
    >
    >I am using a SONY CD-RW drive in a Dell system.
    >
    >Any advice?

  3. Re: Spanning Multiple CD-RW disks

    "magnum" wrote:

    >What is the exact model of the CD-RW drive that you are using? What version
    >of Backup Exec are you using? please be specific.
    >

    >"Stan" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having trouble when spanning multiple CD-RW disks. The first disk

    >completes
    >>correctly, then calls for another. I insert another disk that has been

    >pre-formatted
    >>by Backup Exec and the system first asks for a media name (although the

    >media
    >>already has a name) because I think it is unable to determine that a good
    >>disk is in the drive and prepares to format it. It then aborts with a

    device
    >>error. Archived files are not marked for the disk that has completed because
    >>that operation is done at the end.
    >>
    >>I have shut down all software that automatically runs, including virus

    checkers,
    >>etc. I did notice that the Adaptec Direct CD software checks newly installed
    >>CDs and am wondering whether it is the cause of the problem. If so, then
    >>this is a problem as it needs to install during system boot and doesn't

    >seem
    >>to be able to be shut off or aborted.
    >>
    >>I am using a SONY CD-RW drive in a Dell system.
    >>
    >>Any advice?

    >Stan; First check the exact model of your Sony CD writer against the compatability

    list.
    If it is not an approved device, it will not span discs.
    If it is approved, do not preformat discs with Backup Exec.
    Have the new disk ready and then insert it when Backup Exec asks for next
    disk.
    I also use Start Manager from ZD(part of Wintune 97, and there are others,
    to disable all background programs.
    You might check previous post about problems with Backup Exec and Adaptec.
    I run Adaptec, and Backup Exec Desktop 98, no problem with the above mentioned
    precautions.
    Check my other post on this page.
    I have seen many posts on this subject, and many frustrated folks with non
    supported writers.
    Let,s hope yours is not one of them.
    Try the trick of holding back the unformatted disk until BE opens the tray
    or asks for the disc.
    Best of luck to you Frank

+ Reply to Thread