BackupExec 2.0b Seek Error - Veritas

This is a discussion on BackupExec 2.0b Seek Error - Veritas ; The following question with regards to BackupExec v2.0b: I recently created a 4.0+GB backup of/from a client machine to a server share across a network connection. The program ran without a hitch, and there were no error messages in the ...

  1. BackupExec 2.0b Seek Error

    The following question with regards to BackupExec v2.0b:

    I recently created a 4.0+GB backup of/from a client machine to a server share
    across a network connection. The program ran without a hitch, and there
    were no error messages in the summary report. However, When attempting to
    read the .mtf file which was created, a "seek error" message is displayed.

    Has anyone experienced this problem, and is there any way to resolve it and
    more importantly, recover the data?

    I found a tech document on the Veritas website which exactly describes the
    error,

    http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWIN95.htm

    and the solution given is to contact tech support. When I contacted tech
    support, I was informed that v2.0b was no longer being supported, and to
    try the trial version of v4.5. This version utilizes a different file naming
    convention, and does not find a backup set in the file from which I am attempting
    to recover data.

    Help. Please.

  2. Re: BackupExec 2.0b Seek Error

    v4.5 should read the .mtf file.
    the problem is that v2.0b is not year 2000 compliant, so if the backup set
    was made after jan 1, 2000, then there is no way to be sure that the backup
    set is good
    if v4.5 will not read the .mtf file, then i would suggest giving a data recovery
    service a call.

    "Chris Ayers" wrote:

    >The following question with regards to BackupExec v2.0b:
    >
    >I recently created a 4.0+GB backup of/from a client machine to a server

    share
    >across a network connection. The program ran without a hitch, and there
    >were no error messages in the summary report. However, When attempting

    >read the .mtf file which was created, a "seek error" message is displayed.
    >

    >Has anyone experienced this problem, and is there any way to resolve it

    and
    >more importantly, recover the data?
    >
    >I found a tech document on the Veritas website which exactly describes the
    >error,
    >
    >http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWIN95.htm
    >
    >and the solution given is to contact tech support. When I contacted tech
    >support, I was informed that v2.0b was no longer being supported, and to
    >try the trial version of v4.5. This version utilizes a different file naming
    >convention, and does not find a backup set in the file from which I am attempting
    >to recover data.
    >
    >Help. Please.

+ Reply to Thread