Won't recognize own tape format - Veritas

This is a discussion on Won't recognize own tape format - Veritas ; I am attempting to use Backup Exec Desktop Prod (eval version). Even though I have erased, formatted, etc, ALL of my tapes with BackupExec, the software keeps telling me that it can't recognize the Microsoft Tape Format and wants to ...

  1. Won't recognize own tape format

    I am attempting to use Backup Exec Desktop Prod (eval version). Even though
    I have erased, formatted, etc, ALL of my tapes with BackupExec, the software
    keeps telling me that it can't recognize the Microsoft Tape Format and wants
    to erase/format my tape (which contains the last backup). If I let it do
    this, it will work, but the next time a scheduled backup occurs, I get the
    same message. I have a seagate STT20000A tape drive which is on their
    supported drive list and am running win2000.

    This problem removes the ability to do unattended backup (It prompts to
    reformat every time) and only allows for 1 backup per tape (my 20 gig tape
    now only contains a 230 meg incremental).

    Any ideas what I can do about this?

    TIA,

    Bill Pfeiffer

  2. Re: Won't recognize own tape format

    what software did you use to backup on the tape prior to Backup Exec Desktop?
    if you have access to that software, try a full erase with that software.
    also, you state you did a format and an erase? do you mean an initialize,
    since there is no format option for travan media?

    "Bill Pfeiffer" wrote:
    >I am attempting to use Backup Exec Desktop Prod (eval version). Even though
    >I have erased, formatted, etc, ALL of my tapes with BackupExec, the software
    >keeps telling me that it can't recognize the Microsoft Tape Format and wants
    >to erase/format my tape (which contains the last backup). If I let it do
    >this, it will work, but the next time a scheduled backup occurs, I get the
    >same message. I have a seagate STT20000A tape drive which is on their
    >supported drive list and am running win2000.
    >
    >This problem removes the ability to do unattended backup (It prompts to
    >reformat every time) and only allows for 1 backup per tape (my 20 gig tape
    >now only contains a 230 meg incremental).
    >
    >Any ideas what I can do about this?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Bill Pfeiffer

  3. Re: Won't recognize own tape format

    You are correct, I did an initialize and an erase. The tape was used by the
    win2000 backup software before I attempted to use backup exec 4.5.

    You mention that I should try a full erase with the win2000 backup. I will
    try this. Is this a common problem, that a tape has to be erased with the
    original software before another backup software can use it? It makes sense
    that I would erase with the software that I am about to use, not the one
    that I used previously.

    Thanks for your help,

    Bill Pfeiffer

    "rerun" wrote in message news:39cf56f5$1@hronntp01....

    > what software did you use to backup on the tape prior to Backup Exec

    Desktop?
    > if you have access to that software, try a full erase with that software.
    > also, you state you did a format and an erase? do you mean an

    initialize,
    > since there is no format option for travan media?
    >
    > "Bill Pfeiffer" wrote:
    > >I am attempting to use Backup Exec Desktop Prod (eval version). Even

    though
    > >I have erased, formatted, etc, ALL of my tapes with BackupExec, the

    software
    > >keeps telling me that it can't recognize the Microsoft Tape Format and

    wants
    > >to erase/format my tape (which contains the last backup). If I let it do
    > >this, it will work, but the next time a scheduled backup occurs, I get

    the
    > >same message. I have a seagate STT20000A tape drive which is on their
    > >supported drive list and am running win2000.
    > >
    > >This problem removes the ability to do unattended backup (It prompts to
    > >reformat every time) and only allows for 1 backup per tape (my 20 gig

    tape
    > >now only contains a 230 meg incremental).
    > >
    > >Any ideas what I can do about this?
    > >
    > >TIA,
    > >
    > >Bill Pfeiffer

+ Reply to Thread