New system - Veritas

This is a discussion on New system - Veritas ; I used the built in backup software in Windows 2000 to back up my NTFS hard drive to my server then I installed windows 2000 on a new disk and then did a restore to the new installation. The new ...

  1. New system

    I used the built in backup software in Windows 2000 to back up my NTFS hard
    drive to my server then I installed windows 2000 on a new disk and then did
    a restore to the new installation. The new installation is on a FAT 32 disk
    and the restore warned that some of the file properties are not supported.
    Well the warning was correct the files didn't restore properly. The
    directory tree is correct but the files are zero bytes.

    My question is will this work if I use the 4.4.1 version that works under
    Win2k or is this something that can't be done from NTFS to FAT32?

    Thanks, Rich Benn

  2. Re: New system

    "Rich B" wrote:
    >I used the built in backup software in Windows 2000 to back up my NTFS hard
    >drive to my server then I installed windows 2000 on a new disk and then

    did
    >a restore to the new installation. The new installation is on a FAT 32 disk
    >and the restore warned that some of the file properties are not supported.
    >Well the warning was correct the files didn't restore properly. The
    >directory tree is correct but the files are zero bytes.
    >
    >My question is will this work if I use the 4.4.1 version that works under
    >Win2k or is this something that can't be done from NTFS to FAT32?
    >

    >Thanks, Rich Benn

    Backup Exec cannot go from one to another. Fat16 works to NTFS but not NTFS
    to FAT16. And FAT32 and NTFS don't get along at all.

+ Reply to Thread