Full backup locking system on Sony Superstation - Veritas

This is a discussion on Full backup locking system on Sony Superstation - Veritas ; I purchased a Sony Superstation about a month ago and installed it on an old Packard-Bell pentium system. After eliminating a conflict with another program (Winguage part of McAfee Office), I had no trouble. Last week, I purchased a new ...

  1. Full backup locking system on Sony Superstation

    I purchased a Sony Superstation about a month ago and installed it on an old
    Packard-Bell pentium system. After eliminating a conflict with another program
    (Winguage part of McAfee Office),
    I had no trouble. Last week, I purchased a new Dell Dimension 4100 with
    the Intel 815E chipset (100 mz IDE). Now when I try a full backup, the system
    locks up tight (no mouse no keyboard frozen display frozen tape). Last night
    I tried upgrading from 2.0j to 4.2.1 eval, hoping this would fix the problem.
    It didn't.

    Can anyone help with this?

  2. Re: Full backup locking system on Sony Superstation

    have you tried closing down all the background programs before the backup?

    "Stuart Newman" wrote:

    >I purchased a Sony Superstation about a month ago and installed it on an

    old
    >Packard-Bell pentium system. After eliminating a conflict with another

    program
    >(Winguage part of McAfee Office),
    >I had no trouble. Last week, I purchased a new Dell Dimension 4100 with
    >the Intel 815E chipset (100 mz IDE). Now when I try a full backup, the

    system
    >locks up tight (no mouse no keyboard frozen display frozen tape). Last

    night
    >I tried upgrading from 2.0j to 4.2.1 eval, hoping this would fix the problem.
    > It didn't.
    >
    >Can anyone help with this?

  3. Re: Full backup locking system on Sony Superstation

    Stuart:

    I am having the same problem where it locks up during backup and never at the same
    spot. I've tried various steps based on recommendations that were supposed to work
    but didn't for me. Hopefully one might work for you. If you or anyone else can
    augment the steps below, please advise. I'm using Win 98, Veritas Backup Exec 4.2
    and have an IBM Aptiva. Thanks!

    1. Power Settings

    Go to your Screen Saver settings and at the bottom change the power settings so
    that the system won't go into power saving mode during the backup.

    2. Eliminate other programs running.

    I use Startup Cop, a free utility from www. fileworld.com. It's a great program to
    use to select which programs to execute at Startup.

    3. Windows Media Player conflict

    I've heard that this should work, but didn't for me. Apparently there is a
    conflict with Windows Media Player.

    Uninstall Backup Exec
    Uninstall Windows Media Player
    Install Backup Exec
    (I recommend you try a backup at this point)
    Download the latest Windows Media Player and when you install it will ask at some
    point which components you want to install, make sure that the "Adaptec CD Burner"
    is not checked. You can download the program by going to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedi...ad/default.asp

    Anyway, every time I tried one of these I was sure it would work, but for me not
    yet. Let me know how you are doing.

    Rusty

    Stuart Newman wrote:

    > I purchased a Sony Superstation about a month ago and installed it on an old
    > Packard-Bell pentium system. After eliminating a conflict with another program
    > (Winguage part of McAfee Office),
    > I had no trouble. Last week, I purchased a new Dell Dimension 4100 with
    > the Intel 815E chipset (100 mz IDE). Now when I try a full backup, the system
    > locks up tight (no mouse no keyboard frozen display frozen tape). Last night
    > I tried upgrading from 2.0j to 4.2.1 eval, hoping this would fix the problem.
    > It didn't.
    >
    > Can anyone help with this?

+ Reply to Thread