What is role of Virtual IP in VCS ? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on What is role of Virtual IP in VCS ? - Veritas Volume Manager ; I would like to know in detail that why we required and what is role of Virtual IP in VCS. what is role of it in VCS. Thanks, Devang...

  1. What is role of Virtual IP in VCS ?

    I would like to know in detail that why we required and what is role of Virtual IP in VCS.

    what is role of it in VCS.

    Thanks,
    Devang

  2. Post Re: What is role of Virtual IP in VCS ?

    hi Devang,

    There are atleast two IPs: Physical ip, Virtual IP.
    The Nodes that form a Cluster can be "Individually" accessed using the Physical IPs.

    But Virtual IP is used by a "Client" to access the "Cluster" as a whole. That is to say... Virtual IPs are sent to the DNSs, and clients use that IP to access the Cluster. When a node fails to other node, the Virtual IP will be the same and Clients won't be knowing that control has been transfered to other node.. as the IP they are using would remain the same(Virtual IP).

    Cluster(Virtual IP)
    ------------------------------------

    ------------ --------------|
    node 1 | | node 2 |
    Phy IP 1 | | Phy IP 2 |
    -------------------------------------

    got the point?

  3. Re: What is role of Virtual IP in VCS ?

    How do I know which ip address is physical and which is virtural?

    I knew my server is in VCS, I got the following:

    $ ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    ce0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index 5
    inet 112.64.103.84 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 112.64.103.255
    ce0:1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index 5
    inet 112.64.103.82 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 112.64.103.255

    - Denis

  4. Post Re: What is role of Virtual IP in VCS ?

    Hi ,

    to find out the virtual ip check in your vcs configuration file.

    simple to find out from VCS GUI.

    in each and every service group you will find the ip address resource, which can failover from one node to another, i.e. virtual ip.

+ Reply to Thread