upgrade dynamic disk group version - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on upgrade dynamic disk group version - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi When I try to start a snapshot a error message is displayed "Dynamic disk group version doesn't support this feature. Please upgrade the version of your dynamic disk group" I am using Veritas Volume Manger 3.1 for Windows 2000. ...

  1. upgrade dynamic disk group version

    Hi

    When I try to start a snapshot a error message is displayed "Dynamic disk
    group version doesn't support this feature. Please upgrade the version of
    your dynamic disk group"

    I am using Veritas Volume Manger 3.1 for Windows 2000. Does any one have
    the step-by-step procedure and requirement details for Flashsnap, kindly
    forward me.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Imran

  2. Re: upgrade dynamic disk group version

    FlashSnap requires a VM 3.x compatible disk group and it sounds like you are
    using an LDM compatible one. All you should need to do is right click on
    the group and select the option to upgrade the DG type. If your system or
    boot disk is in the same group, however, you won't be able to upgrade since
    the system won't be able to boot if the group containing the system/boot
    disk is not LDM compatible. Your only option in this case is to backup the
    data on the disks you want to use for FlashSnap, destroy the volumes, revert
    the disks to basic and then add them to a new VM 3.x compatible group.

    The VM User Guide has more information about the requirements for FlashSnap.

    KM

    "imran" wrote in message news:400111c5@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi
    >
    > When I try to start a snapshot a error message is displayed "Dynamic disk
    > group version doesn't support this feature. Please upgrade the version of
    > your dynamic disk group"
    >
    > I am using Veritas Volume Manger 3.1 for Windows 2000. Does any one have
    > the step-by-step procedure and requirement details for Flashsnap, kindly
    > forward me.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    >
    > Imran

  3. Re: upgrade dynamic disk group version

    Thanks for the information.

    Can I take snapshot of boot volume, after installing VxVM I upgraded the
    Boot disk to VM3.x.

    "KM" wrote:
    >FlashSnap requires a VM 3.x compatible disk group and it sounds like you

    are
    >using an LDM compatible one. All you should need to do is right click on
    >the group and select the option to upgrade the DG type. If your system

    or
    >boot disk is in the same group, however, you won't be able to upgrade since
    >the system won't be able to boot if the group containing the system/boot
    >disk is not LDM compatible. Your only option in this case is to backup

    the
    >data on the disks you want to use for FlashSnap, destroy the volumes, revert
    >the disks to basic and then add them to a new VM 3.x compatible group.
    >
    >The VM User Guide has more information about the requirements for FlashSnap.
    >

    >KM
    >
    >"imran" wrote in message news:400111c5@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> When I try to start a snapshot a error message is displayed "Dynamic disk
    >> group version doesn't support this feature. Please upgrade the version

    of
    >> your dynamic disk group"
    >>
    >> I am using Veritas Volume Manger 3.1 for Windows 2000. Does any one have
    >> the step-by-step procedure and requirement details for Flashsnap, kindly
    >> forward me.
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.
    >>
    >> Imran

  4. Re: upgrade dynamic disk group version

    If you try and upgrade the boot or system disk to VM 3.x compatible you will
    receive an error message. It is not possible to upgrade the DG type since
    the system can't boot from VM 3.x compatible disks. If you right click on
    the DG containing the boot/system disk you should see an option to upgrade,
    if you try it it will fail.

    P 169 of the VM User Guide states:
    If you upgrade a disk group, it will not be accessible from Disk Management
    or earlier versions of Volume Manager.

    KM

    "Imran" wrote in message news:4003b9ff@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Thanks for the information.
    >
    > Can I take snapshot of boot volume, after installing VxVM I upgraded the
    > Boot disk to VM3.x.
    >

    > "KM" wrote:
    > >FlashSnap requires a VM 3.x compatible disk group and it sounds like you

    > are
    > >using an LDM compatible one. All you should need to do is right click on
    > >the group and select the option to upgrade the DG type. If your system

    > or
    > >boot disk is in the same group, however, you won't be able to upgrade

    since
    > >the system won't be able to boot if the group containing the system/boot
    > >disk is not LDM compatible. Your only option in this case is to backup

    > the
    > >data on the disks you want to use for FlashSnap, destroy the volumes,

    revert
    > >the disks to basic and then add them to a new VM 3.x compatible group.
    > >
    > >The VM User Guide has more information about the requirements for

    FlashSnap.

    > >KM
    > >
    > >"imran" wrote in message news:400111c5@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > >>
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> When I try to start a snapshot a error message is displayed "Dynamic

    disk
    > >> group version doesn't support this feature. Please upgrade the version

    > of
    > >> your dynamic disk group"
    > >>
    > >> I am using Veritas Volume Manger 3.1 for Windows 2000. Does any one

    have
    > >> the step-by-step procedure and requirement details for Flashsnap,

    kindly
    > >> forward me.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in Advance.
    > >>
    > >> Imran