Resize Volume error on MCSC - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Resize Volume error on MCSC - Veritas Volume Manager ; I cannot rezsize a volume when it is a RAID 5 or Striped volume when using a dynamic (cluster) disk. I am using MCSC. After I add a disk to the dynamic group and then try to resize the volume ...

  1. Resize Volume error on MCSC

    I cannot rezsize a volume when it is a RAID 5 or Striped volume when using
    a dynamic (cluster) disk. I am using MCSC. After I add a disk to the dynamic
    group and then try to resize the volume to include the disk space from that
    disk, I get the following error.

    "Either no disk space is available or your dynamic disks or the configuration
    is not valid to complete this operation."

    I have no problems resizing a concatenated (spanned) volume. Is this by
    design, or am I doing something wrong? Also when is support for Volum Manager
    for 2003 going to be available?

    Thanks,

    Sarah

  2. Re: Resize Volume error on MCSC

    When you extend a stripe with VM you need to add the same number of LUNs
    that already exist in the stripe, e.g. if you have 4 disks you need to add
    another 4. You can't add just one more disk because VM doesn't recalculate
    the layout, it just increases the size of each subdisk. See this TechNote
    for more info:
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/232647

    VM 4.0 will support for Win2k3 and is scheduled for release in the next
    couple of months.

    KM

    "Sarah" wrote in message news:3f66192c@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > I cannot rezsize a volume when it is a RAID 5 or Striped volume when using
    > a dynamic (cluster) disk. I am using MCSC. After I add a disk to the

    dynamic
    > group and then try to resize the volume to include the disk space from

    that
    > disk, I get the following error.
    >
    > "Either no disk space is available or your dynamic disks or the

    configuration
    > is not valid to complete this operation."
    >
    > I have no problems resizing a concatenated (spanned) volume. Is this by
    > design, or am I doing something wrong? Also when is support for Volum

    Manager
    > for 2003 going to be available?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sarah