Cant join MSCS after failure (VxVM mirrored Quorum) - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Cant join MSCS after failure (VxVM mirrored Quorum) - Veritas Volume Manager ; Dear All, Having a strange problem. I have two Win2k SP3 servers that I have installed MSCS and Volumemanager 3.0 (MSCS support option installed) on. I had mirrored the Quorum disk and the data disks. I had installed the service ...

  1. Cant join MSCS after failure (VxVM mirrored Quorum)

    Dear All,

    Having a strange problem. I have two Win2k SP3 servers that I have installed
    MSCS and Volumemanager 3.0 (MSCS support option installed) on.
    I had mirrored the Quorum disk and the data disks. I had installed the service
    packs and the hotfixes for VM. Everything worked ok.

    For some odd reason the 1st node failed and the O/S got corrupted so a re-install
    of the OS was needed (The 2nd node took over without problems).
    Now, how do I get the first node back into the cluster?
    I get this bogus error when trying to install the cluster service.
    Right after I put in the domain account needed to join and administer the
    cluster the installations stops:
    "Cant find the file specified" (or similar) and Error code:2 (0x00002)
    It does not say what file is missing or something like that. It just stops.

    Now, what is the correct procedure to get a re-installed node back into an
    existing cluster? Whitepaper or other info would be nice?! :-)

    This is a tad urgent so if you can, please hurry!

    Thanks,
    Daniel

  2. Re: Cant join MSCS after failure (VxVM mirrored Quorum)

    > Having a strange problem. I have two Win2k SP3 servers that I have

    installed
    > MSCS and Volumemanager 3.0 (MSCS support option installed) on.
    > I had mirrored the Quorum disk and the data disks. I had installed the

    service
    > packs and the hotfixes for VM. Everything worked ok.
    >
    > For some odd reason the 1st node failed and the O/S got corrupted so a

    re-install
    > of the OS was needed (The 2nd node took over without problems).
    > Now, how do I get the first node back into the cluster?
    > I get this bogus error when trying to install the cluster service.
    > Right after I put in the domain account needed to join and administer the
    > cluster the installations stops:
    > "Cant find the file specified" (or similar) and Error code:2 (0x00002)
    > It does not say what file is missing or something like that. It just

    stops.

    You need to add the disk subkey in registry.

    The problem is, there are no MS shared disks, only VVM disks.

    You should be able to find a Q-article on this, at MS site.

    If i remember correct, i shuld be placed under HKLM, named "Disk" ans should
    be emty.

    See:
    http://premier.microsoft.com/premier...=kb;en-us;2456
    26

    Regards

    Anders

  3. Re: Cant join MSCS after failure (VxVM mirrored Quorum)

    "Anders Jacobsen" wrote:

    >> Having a strange problem. I have two Win2k SP3 servers that I have

    >installed
    >> MSCS and Volumemanager 3.0 (MSCS support option installed) on.
    >> I had mirrored the Quorum disk and the data disks. I had installed the

    >service
    >> packs and the hotfixes for VM. Everything worked ok.
    >>
    >> For some odd reason the 1st node failed and the O/S got corrupted so a

    >re-install
    >> of the OS was needed (The 2nd node took over without problems).
    >> Now, how do I get the first node back into the cluster?
    >> I get this bogus error when trying to install the cluster service.
    >> Right after I put in the domain account needed to join and administer

    the
    >> cluster the installations stops:
    >> "Cant find the file specified" (or similar) and Error code:2 (0x00002)
    >> It does not say what file is missing or something like that. It just

    >stops.
    >
    >You need to add the disk subkey in registry.
    >
    >The problem is, there are no MS shared disks, only VVM disks.
    >
    >You should be able to find a Q-article on this, at MS site.
    >
    >If i remember correct, i shuld be placed under HKLM, named "Disk" ans should
    >be emty.
    >
    >See:
    >http://premier.microsoft.com/premier...=kb;en-us;2456
    >26
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Anders

    Hello all,

    we had also the same problem. Build up a Microsoft cluster with local quorum
    and VM 3.1. Error was as described.

    Found out that some systems or software do not automatically create the registry
    key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\Disk (empty key). If you just create this
    key, you can join your cluster.

    The Q-article described above explains how to build a MSCS cluster with local
    quorum, but not how to solve the problem.

    Hope you already solved the problem.

    Best regards,
    Eric van der Horst

  4. Re: Cant join MSCS after failure (VxVM mirrored Quorum)

    Thanks guys! The problems was resolved long time ago (haven't checked these
    forums for awhile...=)
    And yes, the solution was the one that you proposed.
    I have now successfully upgraded VM to 3.1 and installed DMP as well with
    good results.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Eric van der Horst" wrote:

    >"Anders Jacobsen" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having a strange problem. I have two Win2k SP3 servers that I have

    >>installed
    >>> MSCS and Volumemanager 3.0 (MSCS support option installed) on.
    >>> I had mirrored the Quorum disk and the data disks. I had installed the

    >>service
    >>> packs and the hotfixes for VM. Everything worked ok.
    >>>
    >>> For some odd reason the 1st node failed and the O/S got corrupted so

    >>re-install
    >>> of the OS was needed (The 2nd node took over without problems).
    >>> Now, how do I get the first node back into the cluster?
    >>> I get this bogus error when trying to install the cluster service.
    >>> Right after I put in the domain account needed to join and administer

    >the
    >>> cluster the installations stops:
    >>> "Cant find the file specified" (or similar) and Error code:2 (0x00002)
    >>> It does not say what file is missing or something like that. It just

    >>stops.
    >>
    >>You need to add the disk subkey in registry.
    >>
    >>The problem is, there are no MS shared disks, only VVM disks.
    >>
    >>You should be able to find a Q-article on this, at MS site.
    >>
    >>If i remember correct, i shuld be placed under HKLM, named "Disk" ans should
    >>be emty.
    >>
    >>See:
    >>http://premier.microsoft.com/premier...=kb;en-us;2456
    >>26
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Anders
    >>

    >Hello all,
    >
    >we had also the same problem. Build up a Microsoft cluster with local quorum
    >and VM 3.1. Error was as described.
    >
    >Found out that some systems or software do not automatically create the

    registry
    >key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\Disk (empty key). If you just create this
    >key, you can join your cluster.
    >
    >The Q-article described above explains how to build a MSCS cluster with

    local
    >quorum, but not how to solve the problem.
    >
    >Hope you already solved the problem.
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Eric van der Horst

+ Reply to Thread