Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group - Veritas Volume Manager ; Have configured a 2-node cluster where with a graceful shutdown the dynamic disk groups fail-over perfectly but if the shutdown if ungraceful, i.e. powerfailure, then the disk groups will not fail-over until the failed node reboots and even then manual ...

  1. Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group

    Have configured a 2-node cluster where with a graceful shutdown the dynamic
    disk groups fail-over perfectly but if the shutdown if ungraceful, i.e. powerfailure,
    then the disk groups will not fail-over until the failed node reboots and
    even then manual intervention is required.

    The error message displayed is as follows :
    "Failed to import cluster dynamic disk group to cluster dynamic disk group"
    and "Failed to deport cluster dynamic disk group".

    Config is as follows :
    O/S is MSFT Cluster, Win2000 Advanced Server, SP3, Volume manager 3.1.

    Would anyone beable to help?

  2. Re: Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group

    Sounds like the failed node has a SCSI reservation on the disks which is not
    being released. Make sure you have enabled target reset on your HBAs to
    allow the surviving node to gain control of the disks.

    KM

    "Sim" wrote in message

    > Have configured a 2-node cluster where with a graceful shutdown the

    dynamic
    > disk groups fail-over perfectly but if the shutdown if ungraceful, i.e.

    powerfailure,
    > then the disk groups will not fail-over until the failed node reboots and
    > even then manual intervention is required.
    >
    > The error message displayed is as follows :
    > "Failed to import cluster dynamic disk group to cluster dynamic disk

    group"
    > and "Failed to deport cluster dynamic disk group".
    >
    > Config is as follows :
    > O/S is MSFT Cluster, Win2000 Advanced Server, SP3, Volume manager 3.1.
    >
    > Would anyone beable to help?

  3. Re: Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group

    Thanks for the response KM - I will investigate.

    Out of curiosity, it seems that only 2 out of 4 disk groups fail to failover
    - do you think your suggestion is still valid?

    "KM" wrote:
    >Sounds like the failed node has a SCSI reservation on the disks which is

    not
    >being released. Make sure you have enabled target reset on your HBAs to
    >allow the surviving node to gain control of the disks.
    >

    >KM
    >

    >"Sim" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Have configured a 2-node cluster where with a graceful shutdown the

    >dynamic
    >> disk groups fail-over perfectly but if the shutdown if ungraceful, i.e.

    >powerfailure,
    >> then the disk groups will not fail-over until the failed node reboots

    and
    >> even then manual intervention is required.
    >>
    >> The error message displayed is as follows :
    >> "Failed to import cluster dynamic disk group to cluster dynamic disk

    >group"
    >> and "Failed to deport cluster dynamic disk group".
    >>
    >> Config is as follows :
    >> O/S is MSFT Cluster, Win2000 Advanced Server, SP3, Volume manager 3.1.
    >>
    >> Would anyone beable to help?

  4. Re: Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group

    Mmm, possibly. You do need to have that setting enabled in a cluster
    environment at any rate. If it is not set then it is very likely to cause
    problems. You might also want to check your licence - if you have a VM
    Server licence then you can only have four dynamic disk groups imported on a
    machine at any time. VM Advanced Server gives you 128 groups.

    KM

    "Sim" wrote in message

    > Thanks for the response KM - I will investigate.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, it seems that only 2 out of 4 disk groups fail to

    failover
    > - do you think your suggestion is still valid?
    >
    > "KM" wrote:
    > >Sounds like the failed node has a SCSI reservation on the disks which is

    > not
    > >being released. Make sure you have enabled target reset on your HBAs to
    > >allow the surviving node to gain control of the disks.
    > >

    > >KM
    > >

    > >"Sim" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Have configured a 2-node cluster where with a graceful shutdown the

    > >dynamic
    > >> disk groups fail-over perfectly but if the shutdown if ungraceful, i.e.

    > >powerfailure,
    > >> then the disk groups will not fail-over until the failed node reboots

    > and
    > >> even then manual intervention is required.
    > >>
    > >> The error message displayed is as follows :
    > >> "Failed to import cluster dynamic disk group to cluster dynamic disk

    > >group"
    > >> and "Failed to deport cluster dynamic disk group".
    > >>
    > >> Config is as follows :
    > >> O/S is MSFT Cluster, Win2000 Advanced Server, SP3, Volume manager 3.1.
    > >>
    > >> Would anyone beable to help?

  5. Re: Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group

    Thanks Kim, looks like you were kinda right - I'm told that there is a firmware
    bug in the HP storage arrays that seems not to allow HBAs to take control
    of certain disks in failure situations.

    Everything else works.

    Thanks for you help.

    "KM" wrote:
    >Mmm, possibly. You do need to have that setting enabled in a cluster
    >environment at any rate. If it is not set then it is very likely to cause
    >problems. You might also want to check your licence - if you have a VM
    >Server licence then you can only have four dynamic disk groups imported

    on a
    >machine at any time. VM Advanced Server gives you 128 groups.
    >

    >KM
    >

    >"Sim" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response KM - I will investigate.
    >>
    >> Out of curiosity, it seems that only 2 out of 4 disk groups fail to

    >failover
    >> - do you think your suggestion is still valid?
    >>
    >> "KM" wrote:
    >> >Sounds like the failed node has a SCSI reservation on the disks which

    is
    >> not
    >> >being released. Make sure you have enabled target reset on your HBAs

    >> >allow the surviving node to gain control of the disks.
    >> >

    >> >KM
    >> >

    >> >"Sim" wrote in message

    >> >dynamic

    i.e.
    >> >powerfailure,

    >> and

    >> >group"

  6. Re: Failed to import/deport cluster dynamic disk group

    We had the same problem on our cluster/SAN, Please provide more information
    concerning your configuration.

    A quick view of the problem is that your systems are failing to release the
    LUN (SCSI) reservation during the failure. This requires a reboot of your
    storage to release the LUN, we call it a non-transitional LUN.

    Please provide the following;

    Type of storage.
    Any pathing software (SecurePath, DMP)

    Dan Kobus
    Sr. SAN Engineer
    PBGC

    "Sim" wrote:

    >Have configured a 2-node cluster where with a graceful shutdown the dynamic
    >disk groups fail-over perfectly but if the shutdown if ungraceful, i.e.

    powerfailure,
    >then the disk groups will not fail-over until the failed node reboots and
    >even then manual intervention is required.
    >
    >The error message displayed is as follows :
    >"Failed to import cluster dynamic disk group to cluster dynamic disk group"
    >and "Failed to deport cluster dynamic disk group".
    >
    >Config is as follows :
    >O/S is MSFT Cluster, Win2000 Advanced Server, SP3, Volume manager 3.1.
    >
    >Would anyone beable to help?

+ Reply to Thread