New Stripe Volume Recomendations - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on New Stripe Volume Recomendations - Veritas Volume Manager ; 1. I've been using VM since version 2.7. I have always had configurations using Dynamic Disk to our SAN. 3-5 disks in size. 2. Now I have my first requirement for a 30 disk volume, 12 gig drives, all identical ...

  1. New Stripe Volume Recomendations

    1. I've been using VM since version 2.7. I have always had configurations
    using Dynamic Disk to our SAN. 3-5 disks in size.

    2. Now I have my first requirement for a 30 disk volume, 12 gig drives, all
    identical and to be striped but not mirrored.

    3. What's is the "Best Practice" for setting this up?

    How many columns? Should I do subdisks? These volumes will be expanded in
    the near future as well. Any recommendations/opinions will be greatly
    appreciated.

  2. Re: New Stripe Volume Recomendations

    Dave Jones wrote:
    > 1. I've been using VM since version 2.7. I have always had configurations
    > using Dynamic Disk to our SAN. 3-5 disks in size.
    >
    > 2. Now I have my first requirement for a 30 disk volume, 12 gig drives, all
    > identical and to be striped but not mirrored.
    >
    > 3. What's is the "Best Practice" for setting this up?
    >
    > How many columns? Should I do subdisks? These volumes will be expanded in
    > the near future as well. Any recommendations/opinions will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Theoretically you get better performance by having a bigger number of
    columns.

    However, are you going to add 30 drives at the moment you are expanding
    the volume? If so, you can use a 30 way stripe. If you only plan to add
    say 5 disks at a time, I would chose a 5 way stripe to extend the volume
    to ( you cannot have subdisks that belong to separate columns on the
    same drive ).

    Hope this helps.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread