VM/flashsnap Suitability for full online backups - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VM/flashsnap Suitability for full online backups - Veritas Volume Manager ; Anyone tried using flashsnap with W2k to run a mirror of the entire system then offline for backup? Is this the intended use of flashsnap or is it intended for data only? I would like to shutdown all applications, offline ...

  1. VM/flashsnap Suitability for full online backups

    Anyone tried using flashsnap with W2k to run a mirror of the entire system
    then offline for backup? Is this the intended use of flashsnap or is it intended
    for data only?

    I would like to shutdown all applications, offline the mirror, startup applications
    then backup the snapshot via local LAN to a NETbackup Server. The emphasis
    is on a full backup then recovery of a bare metal system.

    Host is a Compaq DL380-G2 with internal disks.

    Ta

  2. Re: VM/flashsnap Suitability for full online backups

    Not possible. FlashSnap requires VM 3.0 (or above) compatible dynamic disks
    and it is not possible to boot from these so you can't use FlashSnap on a
    system disk.

    Have a look at:
    http://www.veritas.com/products/cate...?productId=bmr

    for information on VERITAS Bare Metal Restore.

    KM

    "Adie" wrote in message

    > Anyone tried using flashsnap with W2k to run a mirror of the entire system
    > then offline for backup? Is this the intended use of flashsnap or is it

    intended
    > for data only?
    >
    > I would like to shutdown all applications, offline the mirror, startup

    applications
    > then backup the snapshot via local LAN to a NETbackup Server. The emphasis
    > is on a full backup then recovery of a bare metal system.
    >
    > Host is a Compaq DL380-G2 with internal disks.
    >
    > Ta

  3. Re: VM/flashsnap Suitability for full online backups

    So is the only way I can do a full backup of this server without having it
    unavailable for the entire period is to use Volume Manager and implement
    a software mirror ?

    Veritas are certainly not making it clear how to choose the correct product.
    I can see many people having their expectations dashed. Mine were using IDR
    with Backup Exec.

    "KM" wrote:
    >Not possible. FlashSnap requires VM 3.0 (or above) compatible dynamic disks
    >and it is not possible to boot from these so you can't use FlashSnap on

    >system disk.
    >
    >Have a look at:
    >http://www.veritas.com/products/cate...?productId=bmr
    >
    >for information on VERITAS Bare Metal Restore.
    >

    >KM
    >

    >"Adie" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Anyone tried using flashsnap with W2k to run a mirror of the entire system
    >> then offline for backup? Is this the intended use of flashsnap or is it

    >intended
    >> for data only?
    >>
    >> I would like to shutdown all applications, offline the mirror, startup

    >applications
    >> then backup the snapshot via local LAN to a NETbackup Server. The emphasis
    >> is on a full backup then recovery of a bare metal system.
    >>
    >> Host is a Compaq DL380-G2 with internal disks.
    >>
    >> Ta

+ Reply to Thread