Re: Volume Mgr and Compaq RAID - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Re: Volume Mgr and Compaq RAID - Veritas Volume Manager ; Volume Manager supports software RAID in the same way that Windows LDM supports it. VM can mirror or stripe LUNs presented to it in any way you choose, for fault tolerance or performance gains. You should still use hardware RAID ...

  1. Re: Volume Mgr and Compaq RAID

    Volume Manager supports software RAID in the same way that Windows LDM
    supports it. VM can mirror or stripe LUNs presented to it in any way you
    choose, for fault tolerance or performance gains. You should still use
    hardware RAID (which is invisible to VM) underneath the operating system to
    protect against the loss of a physical disk or disks.

    KM

    "Scumbag Adie" wrote in message

    > I'm struggling to understand how the hardware raid on DL380's for example
    > relates to the raid supported by Volume Mgr. Is the hardware raid now

    redundant?
    > Should the disks just be configured JBOD?
    >
    > I'm looking for an online backup soln without SANs etc for the DL380-G2.
    >
    > Ta

  2. Re: Volume Mgr and Compaq RAID

    < So if I mirror in hardware (doubles no of disks required) and then mirror
    in VM do I not quadruple the amount of disks required (i.e. is this now effectively
    a 4 way mirror set)?

    Perhaps the advantage is that if the hardware implements RAID 5 and then
    use VM to mirror within that, a online backup soln could be implemented without
    requireing a full 3 way mirror set in hardware. Although the amount of disk
    space available to applications is halved? This assumes one can't usually
    mirror two RAID 5 arrays to maintain availability.

    I would worry about performance though.

    "KM" wrote:
    >Volume Manager supports software RAID in the same way that Windows LDM
    >supports it. VM can mirror or stripe LUNs presented to it in any way you
    >choose, for fault tolerance or performance gains. You should still use
    >hardware RAID (which is invisible to VM) underneath the operating system

    >protect against the loss of a physical disk or disks.
    >

    >KM
    >

    >"Scumbag Adie" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm struggling to understand how the hardware raid on DL380's for example
    >> relates to the raid supported by Volume Mgr. Is the hardware raid now

    >redundant?
    >> Should the disks just be configured JBOD?
    >>
    >> I'm looking for an online backup soln without SANs etc for the DL380-G2.
    >>
    >> Ta

+ Reply to Thread