Software RAID-5 replacement disk size - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Software RAID-5 replacement disk size - Veritas Volume Manager ; Right now I have 2 software RAID-5 drive sets configured with Volume Manager. Each set consits of 3 36gig fibre channel drives. I have 1 36gig drive as an onsite spare. In the near future I am going to need ...

  1. Software RAID-5 replacement disk size

    Right now I have 2 software RAID-5 drive sets configured with Volume
    Manager. Each set consits of 3 36gig fibre channel drives. I have 1
    36gig drive as an onsite spare. In the near future I am going to need
    to expand one of the dive sets but using the spare and ordering another
    new spare. At the same time I will also be getting 2 72gig fibre
    channel drives for our Novell servers. I will need to have a spare for
    those as well. So my question is can I use a 72gig as a temporary spare
    for one of the 36gig drives in my RAID-5 set? This would allow me to
    only have to by 1 72gig spare that could replace any of my Novell or
    Windows drives.

    Thanks
    Tony Perun

  2. Re: Software RAID-5 replacement disk size

    When extending a software RAID 5 set you will need to have the same number
    of disks as already exists in the set available for extension. The
    following TechNote gives more information (it refers to stripes but also
    applies to RAID 5):

    You cannot add a single disk to extend a software RAID 5 set as you can with
    hardware RAID 5.

    KM

    "Tony Perun" wrote in message
    > Right now I have 2 software RAID-5 drive sets configured with Volume
    > Manager. Each set consits of 3 36gig fibre channel drives. I have 1
    > 36gig drive as an onsite spare. In the near future I am going to need
    > to expand one of the dive sets but using the spare and ordering another
    > new spare. At the same time I will also be getting 2 72gig fibre
    > channel drives for our Novell servers. I will need to have a spare for
    > those as well. So my question is can I use a 72gig as a temporary spare
    > for one of the 36gig drives in my RAID-5 set? This would allow me to
    > only have to by 1 72gig spare that could replace any of my Novell or
    > Windows drives.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tony Perun

  3. Re: Software RAID-5 replacement disk size

    Thanks for that info. I can still do it by backing up the data,
    creating a new RAID set, and restoring so that is not a problem. What I
    am worried about is having a spare drive that can be used on a temporary
    basis if one of the drives in the RAID set goes bad. Can that temporary
    replacement be larger then the orignal drive? Like in my situation
    using half of a 72 gig drive to replace a 36gig drive that has failed
    until the 36gig comes back from RMA?

    Thaks
    Tony Perun

    KM wrote:
    > When extending a software RAID 5 set you will need to have the same number
    > of disks as already exists in the set available for extension. The
    > following TechNote gives more information (it refers to stripes but also
    > applies to RAID 5):
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/232647.htm
    >
    > You cannot add a single disk to extend a software RAID 5 set as you can with
    > hardware RAID 5.
    >

    > KM
    >

    > "Tony Perun" wrote in message
    >
    >>Right now I have 2 software RAID-5 drive sets configured with Volume
    >>Manager. Each set consits of 3 36gig fibre channel drives. I have 1
    >>36gig drive as an onsite spare. In the near future I am going to need
    >>to expand one of the dive sets but using the spare and ordering another
    >>new spare. At the same time I will also be getting 2 72gig fibre
    >>channel drives for our Novell servers. I will need to have a spare for
    >>those as well. So my question is can I use a 72gig as a temporary spare
    >>for one of the 36gig drives in my RAID-5 set? This would allow me to
    >>only have to by 1 72gig spare that could replace any of my Novell or
    >>Windows drives.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Tony Perun

  4. Re: Software RAID-5 replacement disk size

    Yes, that is possible. You can use the Undo Hot Relocation feature to
    start using the 36gig drive. The easiest way to do this, is to issue a
    replace disk command on the new 36Gig drive, so it will take the place
    of the missing disk in the DG.

    Tony Perun wrote:
    > Thanks for that info. I can still do it by backing up the data,
    > creating a new RAID set, and restoring so that is not a problem. What I
    > am worried about is having a spare drive that can be used on a temporary
    > basis if one of the drives in the RAID set goes bad. Can that temporary
    > replacement be larger then the orignal drive? Like in my situation
    > using half of a 72 gig drive to replace a 36gig drive that has failed
    > until the 36gig comes back from RMA?
    >
    > Thaks
    > Tony Perun
    >

    > KM wrote:
    >
    >> When extending a software RAID 5 set you will need to have the same
    >> number
    >> of disks as already exists in the set available for extension. The
    >> following TechNote gives more information (it refers to stripes but also
    >> applies to RAID 5):
    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/232647.htm
    >>
    >> You cannot add a single disk to extend a software RAID 5 set as you
    >> can with
    >> hardware RAID 5.
    >>

    >> KM
    >>

    >> "Tony Perun" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Right now I have 2 software RAID-5 drive sets configured with Volume
    >>> Manager. Each set consits of 3 36gig fibre channel drives. I have 1
    >>> 36gig drive as an onsite spare. In the near future I am going to need
    >>> to expand one of the dive sets but using the spare and ordering another
    >>> new spare. At the same time I will also be getting 2 72gig fibre
    >>> channel drives for our Novell servers. I will need to have a spare for
    >>> those as well. So my question is can I use a 72gig as a temporary spare
    >>> for one of the 36gig drives in my RAID-5 set? This would allow me to
    >>> only have to by 1 72gig spare that could replace any of my Novell or
    >>> Windows drives.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Tony Perun

  5. Re: Software RAID-5 replacement disk size

    Thanks for the info. That's one less drive I have to buy.

    Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    > Yes, that is possible. You can use the Undo Hot Relocation feature to
    > start using the 36gig drive. The easiest way to do this, is to issue a
    > replace disk command on the new 36Gig drive, so it will take the place
    > of the missing disk in the DG.
    >

    > Tony Perun wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for that info. I can still do it by backing up the data,
    >> creating a new RAID set, and restoring so that is not a problem. What
    >> I am worried about is having a spare drive that can be used on a
    >> temporary basis if one of the drives in the RAID set goes bad. Can
    >> that temporary replacement be larger then the orignal drive? Like in
    >> my situation using half of a 72 gig drive to replace a 36gig drive
    >> that has failed until the 36gig comes back from RMA?
    >>
    >> Thaks
    >> Tony Perun
    >>

    >> KM wrote:
    >>
    >>> When extending a software RAID 5 set you will need to have the same
    >>> number
    >>> of disks as already exists in the set available for extension. The
    >>> following TechNote gives more information (it refers to stripes but also
    >>> applies to RAID 5):
    >>> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/232647.htm
    >>>
    >>> You cannot add a single disk to extend a software RAID 5 set as you
    >>> can with
    >>> hardware RAID 5.
    >>>

    >>> KM
    >>>

    >>> "Tony Perun" wrote in message