Multiple vxassist mirror K: Hangs - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Multiple vxassist mirror K: Hangs - Veritas Volume Manager ; I am having following problem. S/w: VxVM ver: 3.0.1 (for win2000) I have 4 volumes of size 50 mb and I wanted to create a mirror for all of them. Out of these 1 should fail (because a mirror already ...

  1. Multiple vxassist mirror K: Hangs

    I am having following problem.

    S/w:
    VxVM ver: 3.0.1 (for win2000)

    I have 4 volumes of size 50 mb and I wanted to create a mirror for all of
    them. Out of these 1 should fail (because a mirror already exists) and the
    others should go fine.

    So I started 4 vxassist processes simultaneously from a C program (to create
    the mirror) and waited for each of the vxassist process to finish.
    3 out of 4 finished successfully
    The last one just hung.

    To SIMULATE the behaviour I started 4 dos prompts.
    From each of them I ran one: vxassist mirror DRIVERLetter command
    simultaneoulsy.
    First time it went fine.
    Second time
    3 out of 4 finished successfully
    The last one just hung. It gave a error:
    Failed to complete the operation...
    e5150104:
    (NOTE: If it had not hung, it would have given similar message, but in this
    case the message is truncated... as it is hanging).

    Has anybody gotten into a similar problem?

  2. Re: Multiple vxassist mirror K: Hangs

    "Ajay Bakhshi" wrote:

    >I am having following problem.
    >
    >S/w:
    >VxVM ver: 3.0.1 (for win2000)
    >
    >I have 4 volumes of size 50 mb and I wanted to create a mirror for all of
    >them. Out of these 1 should fail (because a mirror already exists) and the
    >others should go fine.
    >
    >So I started 4 vxassist processes simultaneously from a C program (to create
    >the mirror) and waited for each of the vxassist process to finish.
    >3 out of 4 finished successfully
    >The last one just hung.
    >
    >To SIMULATE the behaviour I started 4 dos prompts.
    >From each of them I ran one: vxassist mirror DRIVERLetter command
    >simultaneoulsy.
    >First time it went fine.
    >Second time
    >3 out of 4 finished successfully
    >The last one just hung. It gave a error:
    >Failed to complete the operation...
    >e5150104:
    >(NOTE: If it had not hung, it would have given similar message, but in this
    >case the message is truncated... as it is hanging).
    >
    >Has anybody gotten into a similar problem?

    The problem occurs only when I am using terminal server to run the commands
    remotely. On using PC anywhere this problem went away. I have previouly encountered
    problems with terminal server. So this seems logical.

    Would reopen this case if this problem resurfaces with further testing.

+ Reply to Thread