Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction - Veritas Volume Manager ; [correction to my last posting" I have replaced the word "diskgroups" with the word "disks" - sorry. Hi all, I have a Dell NAS cluster. Two Powervault 750N servers as the cluster nodes and a Dell Powervault 660F and a ...

  1. Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    [correction to my last posting" I have replaced the word "diskgroups" with
    the word "disks" - sorry.

    Hi all,

    I have a Dell NAS cluster. Two Powervault 750N servers as the cluster nodes
    and a Dell Powervault 660F and a 224F as the external arrays. The NAS servers
    have Windows 2000 adv server (SP2) as an image, as these servers act as appliance
    servers. Veritas Volume Manager 2.7 for win2k (Hotfix 5) is installed on
    both nodes. The servers are working fine as they are right now, however,for
    capacity planning, these servers will eventually need another 224F external
    array to be added to the system. The problem is that Veritas Volume Manager
    allows me to create a new LUN & initialise it. After it has finished initialising,I
    will conduct a rescan, yet this new LUN does not appear as a new disk (ie.Disk
    6) in the Disk Vew tab. It does appear in the "Disks" tree though. I need
    to see this new disk in the diskview tab so that I can select it and upgrade
    it to a cluster disk and add it to the existing dynamic disk(s). A reboot
    does not fix this issue either and I don't want to apply VVM Hotfix 6 just
    yet either. I am getting really desparate to fix this issue as disk space
    is quickly running out. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Please post
    back or email me at mrose6@csc.com.au Thanx in advance.

  2. Re: Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    Hi Matt,

    The disk probably doesn't have a signature yet. Right-click on the disk
    in the disks tree, and select write signature. I think that after that,
    your new disk will show up in the diskview as well..

    hope that helps,

    mark

    Matt Rose wrote:

    > [correction to my last posting" I have replaced the word "diskgroups" with
    > the word "disks" - sorry.
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Dell NAS cluster. Two Powervault 750N servers as the cluster
    > nodes
    > and a Dell Powervault 660F and a 224F as the external arrays. The NAS
    > servers
    > have Windows 2000 adv server (SP2) as an image, as these servers act
    > as appliance
    > servers. Veritas Volume Manager 2.7 for win2k (Hotfix 5) is installed on
    > both nodes. The servers are working fine as they are right now,
    > however,for
    > capacity planning, these servers will eventually need another 224F
    > external
    > array to be added to the system. The problem is that Veritas Volume
    > Manager
    > allows me to create a new LUN & initialise it. After it has finished
    > initialising,I
    > will conduct a rescan, yet this new LUN does not appear as a new disk
    > (ie.Disk
    > 6) in the Disk Vew tab. It does appear in the "Disks" tree though. I need
    > to see this new disk in the diskview tab so that I can select it and
    > upgrade
    > it to a cluster disk and add it to the existing dynamic disk(s). A reboot
    > does not fix this issue either and I don't want to apply VVM Hotfix 6 just
    > yet either. I am getting really desparate to fix this issue as disk space
    > is quickly running out. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    > Please post
    > back or email me at mrose6@csc.com.au Thanx in advance.

  3. Re: Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    Thanks Mark,

    The disk will appear in the Disks tree and but will not have a write signature
    option or the red bar icon that usually appears with that issue. There are
    no available options for the new disk when right clicking and looking for
    properties.

    Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    >Hi Matt,
    >
    >The disk probably doesn't have a signature yet. Right-click on the disk

    >in the disks tree, and select write signature. I think that after that,

    >your new disk will show up in the diskview as well..
    >
    >hope that helps,
    >
    >mark
    >
    >Matt Rose wrote:
    >
    >> [correction to my last posting" I have replaced the word "diskgroups"

    with
    >> the word "disks" - sorry.
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have a Dell NAS cluster. Two Powervault 750N servers as the cluster

    >> nodes
    >> and a Dell Powervault 660F and a 224F as the external arrays. The NAS

    >> servers
    >> have Windows 2000 adv server (SP2) as an image, as these servers act
    >> as appliance
    >> servers. Veritas Volume Manager 2.7 for win2k (Hotfix 5) is installed

    on
    >> both nodes. The servers are working fine as they are right now,
    >> however,for
    >> capacity planning, these servers will eventually need another 224F
    >> external
    >> array to be added to the system. The problem is that Veritas Volume
    >> Manager
    >> allows me to create a new LUN & initialise it. After it has finished
    >> initialising,I
    >> will conduct a rescan, yet this new LUN does not appear as a new disk

    >> (ie.Disk
    >> 6) in the Disk Vew tab. It does appear in the "Disks" tree though. I need
    >> to see this new disk in the diskview tab so that I can select it and
    >> upgrade
    >> it to a cluster disk and add it to the existing dynamic disk(s). A reboot
    >> does not fix this issue either and I don't want to apply VVM Hotfix 6

    just
    >> yet either. I am getting really desparate to fix this issue as disk space
    >> is quickly running out. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    >> Please post
    >> back or email me at mrose6@csc.com.au Thanx in advance.

  4. Re: Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    What happens if you restart the vxsvc service?
    (net stop vxsvc and then a net start vxsvc? )

    Matt Rose wrote:

    > Thanks Mark,
    >
    > The disk will appear in the Disks tree and but will not have a write
    > signature
    > option or the red bar icon that usually appears with that issue. There are
    > no available options for the new disk when right clicking and looking for
    > properties.
    >

    > Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Matt,
    > >
    > >The disk probably doesn't have a signature yet. Right-click on the disk

    > >in the disks tree, and select write signature. I think that after that,

    > >your new disk will show up in the diskview as well..
    > >
    > >hope that helps,
    > >
    > >mark
    > >
    > >Matt Rose wrote:
    > >

    > >>[correction to my last posting" I have replaced the word "diskgroups"

    > with
    >
    > >>the word "disks" - sorry.
    > >>
    > >>Hi all,
    > >>
    > >>I have a Dell NAS cluster. Two Powervault 750N servers as the cluster

    > >>nodes
    > >>and a Dell Powervault 660F and a 224F as the external arrays. The NAS

    > >>servers
    > >>have Windows 2000 adv server (SP2) as an image, as these servers act
    > >>as appliance
    > >>servers. Veritas Volume Manager 2.7 for win2k (Hotfix 5) is installed

    > on
    >
    > >>both nodes. The servers are working fine as they are right now,
    > >>however,for
    > >>capacity planning, these servers will eventually need another 224F
    > >>external
    > >>array to be added to the system. The problem is that Veritas Volume
    > >>Manager
    > >>allows me to create a new LUN & initialise it. After it has finished
    > >>initialising,I
    > >>will conduct a rescan, yet this new LUN does not appear as a new disk

    > >>(ie.Disk
    > >>6) in the Disk Vew tab. It does appear in the "Disks" tree though. I

    > need
    > >>to see this new disk in the diskview tab so that I can select it and
    > >>upgrade
    > >>it to a cluster disk and add it to the existing dynamic disk(s). A

    > reboot
    > >>does not fix this issue either and I don't want to apply VVM Hotfix 6

    > just
    >
    > >>yet either. I am getting really desparate to fix this issue as disk

    > space
    > >>is quickly running out. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    > >>Please post
    > >>back or email me at mrose6@csc.com.au Thanx in advance.

  5. Re: Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    Hi Mark,

    no change, the same also occurs after a reboot. Have you ever heard of anything
    like this occuring anywhere else ?

    Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    >What happens if you restart the vxsvc service?
    >(net stop vxsvc and then a net start vxsvc? )
    >

    >Matt Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Mark,
    >>
    >> The disk will appear in the Disks tree and but will not have a write
    >> signature
    >> option or the red bar icon that usually appears with that issue. There

    are
    >> no available options for the new disk when right clicking and looking

    for
    >> properties.
    >>

    >> Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi Matt,
    >> >
    >> >The disk probably doesn't have a signature yet. Right-click on the disk

    >> >in the disks tree, and select write signature. I think that after that,

    >> >your new disk will show up in the diskview as well..
    >> >
    >> >hope that helps,
    >> >
    >> >mark

    >> with

    >> on

    >> need

    >> reboot

    6

    >> just

    >> space

  6. Re: Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    Guess you'll have to contact veritas support... I don't know.

    Matt Rose wrote:

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > no change, the same also occurs after a reboot. Have you ever heard of
    > anything
    > like this occuring anywhere else ?
    >

    > Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    >
    > >What happens if you restart the vxsvc service?
    > >(net stop vxsvc and then a net start vxsvc? )
    > >

    > >Matt Rose wrote:
    > >

    > >>Thanks Mark,
    > >>
    > >>The disk will appear in the Disks tree and but will not have a write
    > >>signature
    > >>option or the red bar icon that usually appears with that issue. There

    > are
    >
    > >>no available options for the new disk when right clicking and looking

    > for
    >
    > >>properties.

    > >>with

    > >>on

    > >>need

    > >>reboot

    > 6
    >
    > >>just

    > >>space

  7. Re: Disk does not appear in Disk View after rescan - correction

    I've just noticed you mention that you have HF05 installed. This hotfix was
    replaced by HF05a due to problems with HF05 so you need to apply HF05a ASAP
    (in which case you might as well upgrade to HF06).

    Since you say you can see the disk in the disk tree then I doubt this is the
    problem, but have you enabled large LUN support in Windows (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...N-US;q310072)?

    Also, make sure you are trying this locally and not through Terminal
    Services since this can cause problems.

    KM

    "Matt Rose" wrote in message

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > no change, the same also occurs after a reboot. Have you ever heard of

    anything
    > like this occuring anywhere else ?
    >

    > Mark Nijmeijer wrote:
    > >What happens if you restart the vxsvc service?
    > >(net stop vxsvc and then a net start vxsvc? )
    > >

    > >Matt Rose wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thanks Mark,
    > >>
    > >> The disk will appear in the Disks tree and but will not have a write
    > >> signature
    > >> option or the red bar icon that usually appears with that issue. There

    > are
    > >> no available options for the new disk when right clicking and looking

    > for
    > >> properties.

    disk

    that,