SF Basic 5.0 add disk problem - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on SF Basic 5.0 add disk problem - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, - Veritas Storage Foundation Basic 5.0 - Solaris 10 x64 I have problem adding a disk (c2d0): # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@0/cmdk@0,0 1. c2d0 /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@1/cmdk@0,0 Specify disk (enter its number): 1 selecting c2d0 ...

  1. SF Basic 5.0 add disk problem

    Hi,
    - Veritas Storage Foundation Basic 5.0
    - Solaris 10 x64

    I have problem adding a disk (c2d0):

    # format
    Searching for disks...done

    AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
    0. c1d0
    /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@0/cmdk@0,0
    1. c2d0
    /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,2/ide@1/cmdk@0,0
    Specify disk (enter its number): 1
    selecting c2d0

    ....cut...

    ....partition type
    Partition Status Type Start End Length %
    ========= ====== ============ ===== === ====== ===
    1 Active Solaris2 1 9728 9728 100

    partition> p
    Current partition table (original):
    Total disk cylinders available: 9726 + 2 (reserved cylinders)

    Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks
    0 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    1 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    2 backup wu 0 - 9725 74.50GB (9726/0/0) 156248190
    3 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    4 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    5 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    6 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    7 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    8 boot wu 0 - 0 7.84MB (1/0/0) 16065
    9 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0

    format> label
    Ready to label disk, continue? y

    # vxdctl enable

    # vxdisk list
    DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
    c1t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid
    c2t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid

    # vxdiskadm
    1 Add or initialize one or more disks
    ....cut
    Select disk devices to add: [,all,list,q,?] c2
    Here is the disk selected. Output format: [Device_Name]

    c2t0d0

    Continue operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) y

    Which disk group [,none,list,q,?] (default: none) TESTDG
    Create a new group named TESTDG? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) y
    Create the disk group as a CDS disk group? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) n
    Use a default disk name for the disk? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) n
    Add disk as a spare disk for TESTDG? [y,n,q,?] (default: n) n
    Exclude disk from hot-relocation use? [y,n,q,?] (default: n) n

    Add site tag to disk? [y,n,q,?] (default: n) n
    A new disk group will be created named TESTDG and the selected disks
    will be added to the disk group with disk names that you will specify
    interactively.

    c2t0d0

    Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) y

    This disk device does not appear to be valid. The disk may not be
    formatted (format(1M)), may have a corrupted VTOC, the device file
    for the disk may be missing or invalid, or the device may be turned-off
    or detached from the system. This disk will be ignored.
    Output format: [Device_Name,Disk_Access_Name]

    [c2t0d0,c2t0d0s2]

    ???...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    PS: I’m able to successfully newfs and mount it as a UFS file system.

    Krusty

  2. Re: SF Basic 5.0 add disk problem

    You formatted the disk with an EFI label (more than the usual 8
    partitions). Now, reading het doco, you will find that you do not need
    an EFI label (only for disks bigger than 1 TB) and you will also see
    that they are not supported in Veritas Volume Manager.

    Format without EFI label and try again

+ Reply to Thread