Exclude paths on DMP with VxVm 5.x - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Exclude paths on DMP with VxVm 5.x - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, How I can exclude some paths from DMP control on VxVm 5.x? I need to this because, I want to have Hitachi disks managed by DMP and EMC disks managed by PowerPath. Thx...

  1. Exclude paths on DMP with VxVm 5.x

    Hi,

    How I can exclude some paths from DMP control on VxVm 5.x? I need to this
    because, I want to have Hitachi disks managed by DMP and EMC disks managed
    by PowerPath.

    Thx

  2. Re: Exclude paths on DMP with VxVm 5.x

    VxVM 5.0 knows not to handle DMP for any EMC disks with powerpath.

    OK, so even if c9t10d0 and c10t10d0 are the 2 paths for an EMC LUN and
    this is under PowerPath (say emcpower10), you will see the followingL

    vxdisk list

    Will show you the disks VxVM knows about. Depending on your naming
    scheme, you might see something like

    c9t10d0 or EMC0_0 or emcpower10c

    So, now, go and check what that disk is (and how many paths VxVM DMP is
    controlling). Say it is c9t10d0, then do

    vxdisk list c9t10d0

    Look specifically at the last line !!

    You will see that VxVM will have only 1 path to all EMC disks under
    PowerPath. Thus VxVM will not do DMP (M = Multi, and as such VxVM sees
    only 1 path and thus can not do the "M" bit)

    So, sorted alread !!!

    By the way, this is called TPD (Thirt Party Driver) support and has been
    available since VxVM 4.1

    Fernando Mendoza wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How I can exclude some paths from DMP control on VxVm 5.x? I need to this
    > because, I want to have Hitachi disks managed by DMP and EMC disks managed
    > by PowerPath.
    >
    > Thx

+ Reply to Thread