initializing disk over a terabyte on Solaris 9 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on initializing disk over a terabyte on Solaris 9 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I am running Solaris 9 and vxvm 4.1. We are purchasing a new array and i would like to create 2 terabyte disks and initialize them in vxvm. I was told by veritas support that i must have solaris 10 ...

  1. initializing disk over a terabyte on Solaris 9

    I am running Solaris 9 and vxvm 4.1. We are purchasing a new array and i would
    like to create 2 terabyte disks and initialize them in vxvm. I was told by
    veritas support that i must have solaris 10 to do this. Is that true? I
    would prefer to get Solaris 9 9/04 or the latest version of Storage Foundation
    Suite. What are my options, if any?

  2. Re: initializing disk over a terabyte on Solaris 9

    EFI disks are only supported on Veritas Volume Manager 4.1 and 5.0 on
    Solaris 10

    Justin wrote:
    > I am running Solaris 9 and vxvm 4.1. We are purchasing a new array and i would
    > like to create 2 terabyte disks and initialize them in vxvm. I was told by
    > veritas support that i must have solaris 10 to do this. Is that true? I
    > would prefer to get Solaris 9 9/04 or the latest version of Storage Foundation
    > Suite. What are my options, if any?

  3. Re: initializing disk over a terabyte on Solaris 9

    While we're on that point. (big disks)

    There is no real advantage to it.

    Remember that any hardware can fail (I know hardware vendors tell you
    that they have n+1 and another bunch of sh.....

    BUT, hardware does fail !!

    So, if you lose the 1 disk, you lose 2TB of data !!! Good luck restoring

    Me wrote:
    > EFI disks are only supported on Veritas Volume Manager 4.1 and 5.0 on
    > Solaris 10
    >
    > Justin wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Solaris 9 and vxvm 4.1. We are purchasing a new array and
    >> i would
    >> like to create 2 terabyte disks and initialize them in vxvm. I was
    >> told by
    >> veritas support that i must have solaris 10 to do this. Is that true? I
    >> would prefer to get Solaris 9 9/04 or the latest version of Storage
    >> Foundation
    >> Suite. What are my options, if any?

+ Reply to Thread