mount of vxfs fails on Solaris 9 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on mount of vxfs fails on Solaris 9 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have upgraded a Solaris system from 8 to 9 using Live Update. Solaris 9 boots up and the Veritas daemons seem to start properly. However my vxfs filesystems refuse to mount as follows: # mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol /usr/bea2 ...

  1. mount of vxfs fails on Solaris 9

    I have upgraded a Solaris system from 8 to 9 using Live Update. Solaris 9
    boots up and the Veritas daemons seem to start properly. However my vxfs
    filesystems refuse to mount as follows:

    # mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol /usr/bea2
    UX:vxfs mount: ERROR: V-3-21258: /usr/bea2 not a directory
    or a component of /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol is not a directory

    The filesystem seems to be OK:

    # fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol
    vxfs

    The volume group in question also seems to be OK:

    # vxprint -g appsdg
    TY NAME ASSOC KSTATE LENGTH PLOFFS STATE TUTIL0
    PUTIL0
    dg appsdg appsdg - - - - -
    -

    dm appsdg01 c3t8d67s2 - 244912896 - - -
    -

    v usrbeavol fsgen ENABLED 244912128 - ACTIVE -
    -
    pl usrbeavol-01 usrbeavol ENABLED 244912128 - ACTIVE -
    -
    sd appsdg01-01 usrbeavol-01 ENABLED 244912128 0 - -
    -

    What am I missing here? My Solaris knowledge is a bit light I have to admit
    so I'm sure this is probably my fault, if I only knew how.

    TIA

    Jim Lane

  2. Re: mount of vxfs fails on Solaris 9

    I know this sounds stupid and no-one will ever belive it, but

    I've seen it a couple of times before.
    Just remove the mount point (rm /usr/bea2) and re-create it (mkdir
    /usr/bea2)

    Then try mounting again: mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol
    /usr/bea2

    Jim Lane wrote:
    > I have upgraded a Solaris system from 8 to 9 using Live Update. Solaris 9
    > boots up and the Veritas daemons seem to start properly. However my vxfs
    > filesystems refuse to mount as follows:
    >
    > # mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol /usr/bea2
    > UX:vxfs mount: ERROR: V-3-21258: /usr/bea2 not a directory
    > or a component of /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol is not a directory
    >
    > The filesystem seems to be OK:
    >
    > # fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol
    > vxfs
    >
    > The volume group in question also seems to be OK:
    >
    > # vxprint -g appsdg
    > TY NAME ASSOC KSTATE LENGTH PLOFFS STATE TUTIL0
    > PUTIL0
    > dg appsdg appsdg - - - - -
    > -
    >
    > dm appsdg01 c3t8d67s2 - 244912896 - - -
    > -
    >
    > v usrbeavol fsgen ENABLED 244912128 - ACTIVE -
    > -
    > pl usrbeavol-01 usrbeavol ENABLED 244912128 - ACTIVE -
    > -
    > sd appsdg01-01 usrbeavol-01 ENABLED 244912128 0 - -
    > -
    >
    > What am I missing here? My Solaris knowledge is a bit light I have to admit
    > so I'm sure this is probably my fault, if I only knew how.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim Lane

  3. Re: mount of vxfs fails on Solaris 9

    Hi Jim,

    It sounds like you didn't run the upgrade_start script prior to upgrading
    Solaris. If upgrading Solaris only, you need to:

    1. Detach any boot disk mirrors
    2. Check alignment of boot disk volumes
    3. Ensure that /opt is not a symbolic link
    4. Bring system down to SUM (Single User Mode)
    5. Load your Veritas CD-ROM
    6. Find your scripts directory and run 'upgrade_start'
    7. Replace the Veritas CD with the Solaris OS CD
    8. upgrade the OS
    9. Reboot to SUM
    8. Load Veritas CD-ROM
    9. Run upgrade_finish
    10. Reboot to multiuser mode

    This should take care of it. Make sure that the version of Volume Manager
    is supported for the version of OS you are upgrading to. Otherwise, you'll
    need to follow some other steps if you plan on upgrading VxVM as well.

    Now -- if you figured this out already on your own and didn't post your solution
    to your own posting seeking help, shame on you ;-)

    Regards -

    Kris

    "Jim Lane" wrote:

    >I have upgraded a Solaris system from 8 to 9 using Live Update. Solaris

    9
    >boots up and the Veritas daemons seem to start properly. However my vxfs
    >filesystems refuse to mount as follows:
    >
    ># mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol /usr/bea2
    >UX:vxfs mount: ERROR: V-3-21258: /usr/bea2 not a directory
    > or a component of /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol is not a directory
    >
    >The filesystem seems to be OK:
    >
    ># fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/appsdg/usrbeavol
    >vxfs
    >
    >The volume group in question also seems to be OK:
    >
    ># vxprint -g appsdg
    >TY NAME ASSOC KSTATE LENGTH PLOFFS STATE TUTIL0

    >PUTIL0
    >dg appsdg appsdg - - - - -

    >-
    >
    >dm appsdg01 c3t8d67s2 - 244912896 - - -

    >-
    >
    >v usrbeavol fsgen ENABLED 244912128 - ACTIVE -

    >-
    >pl usrbeavol-01 usrbeavol ENABLED 244912128 - ACTIVE -

    >-
    >sd appsdg01-01 usrbeavol-01 ENABLED 244912128 0 - -

    >-
    >
    >What am I missing here? My Solaris knowledge is a bit light I have to admit
    >so I'm sure this is probably my fault, if I only knew how.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Jim Lane

+ Reply to Thread