5.0 VxVM on AIX - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on 5.0 VxVM on AIX - Veritas Volume Manager ; We've got an IBM eval server I'm trying to get Volume Manager set up on. I've successfully installed the product and licensed it, however I can not see all the disks. Currently I can see 20 luns on the system, ...

  1. 5.0 VxVM on AIX

    We've got an IBM eval server I'm trying to get Volume Manager set up on.
    I've successfully installed
    the product and licensed it, however I can not see all the disks. Currently
    I can see 20 luns on the system, 3 internal to the system and 17 on an EMC
    array. An lspv sees all 20 luns, but vxdisk list only sees hdisk 0, 1, and
    2, along with hdisk 19 and 20. Any tips on how to get the luns in the middle
    to appear to the volume manager will be appreciated. These were set up as
    a lvm disk group at one time, so I know the system can use them.

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. Re: 5.0 VxVM on AIX

    Some things I have tried in the past..

    # mkvg -f -y newvg hdisk7 (add a disk to a vg)
    0516-1254 mkvg: Changing the PVID in the ODM.
    #vxdctl enable (tells vxvm to rescan for disks, like vxdisk scandisks)

    If the disk is seen as "Available" in lsdev -C -c disk .
    # lchangepv -C hdisk7
    # vxdctl enable (this tells vxvm to rescan for disks, same as vxdisk scandisks)

    "Steven Scherbinski" wrote:

    >We've got an IBM eval server I'm trying to get Volume Manager set up on.

    >I've successfully installed
    >the product and licensed it, however I can not see all the disks. Currently
    >I can see 20 luns on the system, 3 internal to the system and 17 on an EMC
    >array. An lspv sees all 20 luns, but vxdisk list only sees hdisk 0, 1,

    and
    >2, along with hdisk 19 and 20. Any tips on how to get the luns in the middle
    >to appear to the volume manager will be appreciated. These were set up

    as
    >a lvm disk group at one time, so I know the system can use them.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Steve

  3. Re: 5.0 VxVM on AIX

    Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the issue some more, a "vxdctl stop"
    and a
    "vxconfigd -x 9" says it can see the drives, but it thinks they are in use
    by something
    else. So far I have been unable to find out what that is. I have tried
    removing the
    drives and letting the system discover them again, but that hasn't helped.

    Steve

    "Chris" wrote:

    >Some things I have tried in the past..
    >
    ># mkvg -f -y newvg hdisk7 (add a disk to a vg)
    >0516-1254 mkvg: Changing the PVID in the ODM.
    >#vxdctl enable (tells vxvm to rescan for disks, like vxdisk scandisks)
    >
    >If the disk is seen as "Available" in lsdev -C -c disk .
    ># lchangepv -C hdisk7
    ># vxdctl enable (this tells vxvm to rescan for disks, same as vxdisk scandisks)
    >
    >"Steven Scherbinski" wrote:
    >>
    >>We've got an IBM eval server I'm trying to get Volume Manager set up on.

    >>I've successfully installed
    >>the product and licensed it, however I can not see all the disks. Currently
    >>I can see 20 luns on the system, 3 internal to the system and 17 on an

    EMC
    >>array. An lspv sees all 20 luns, but vxdisk list only sees hdisk 0, 1,

    >and
    >>2, along with hdisk 19 and 20. Any tips on how to get the luns in the

    middle
    >>to appear to the volume manager will be appreciated. These were set up

    >as
    >>a lvm disk group at one time, so I know the system can use them.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Steve

  4. Re: 5.0 VxVM on AIX

    i know veritas has an array library (asl) for EMC which is a start. Could
    you have scsi3 (fencing) reservation keys on the disks ?

    I believe the command to remove a key is:

    #vxfenadm -m -k -f /dev/hdisk36

    # vxfenadm -d
    I/O Fencing Cluster Information:
    ================================
    Fencing Protocol Version: 201
    Fencing Mode: Disabled
    Cluster Members:

    * 0 (rico)
    1 (suave)

    RFSM State Information:
    node 0 in state 8 (running)
    node 1 in state 8 (running)

    # vxfenadm -g /dev/hdisk36

    Reading SCSI Registration Keys...

    Device Name: /dev/hdisk36
    Total Number Of Keys: 0
    No keys...

    "Steven Scherbinski" wrote:

    >Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the issue some more, a "vxdctl stop"
    >and a
    >"vxconfigd -x 9" says it can see the drives, but it thinks they are in use
    >by something
    >else. So far I have been unable to find out what that is. I have tried
    >removing the
    >drives and letting the system discover them again, but that hasn't helped.
    >
    >Steve
    >

    >"Chris" wrote:
    >>
    >>Some things I have tried in the past..
    >>
    >># mkvg -f -y newvg hdisk7 (add a disk to a vg)
    >>0516-1254 mkvg: Changing the PVID in the ODM.
    >>#vxdctl enable (tells vxvm to rescan for disks, like vxdisk scandisks)
    >>
    >>If the disk is seen as "Available" in lsdev -C -c disk .
    >># lchangepv -C hdisk7
    >># vxdctl enable (this tells vxvm to rescan for disks, same as vxdisk

    scandisks)

    >>"Steven Scherbinski" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>We've got an IBM eval server I'm trying to get Volume Manager set up on.

    >>>I've successfully installed
    >>>the product and licensed it, however I can not see all the disks. Currently
    >>>I can see 20 luns on the system, 3 internal to the system and 17 on an

    >EMC
    >>>array. An lspv sees all 20 luns, but vxdisk list only sees hdisk 0, 1,

    >>and
    >>>2, along with hdisk 19 and 20. Any tips on how to get the luns in the

    >middle
    >>>to appear to the volume manager will be appreciated. These were set up

    >>as
    >>>a lvm disk group at one time, so I know the system can use them.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Steve

+ Reply to Thread