Trying to disable enclosure based naming - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Trying to disable enclosure based naming - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have installed SF 4.1 on a Solaris 10 system, and when setting it up initially I said yes to enable enclosure bansed naming. In fact I do not want enclosure based naming, and I cannot seem to disable it! ...

  1. Trying to disable enclosure based naming

    I have installed SF 4.1 on a Solaris 10 system, and when setting it up initially
    I said yes to enable enclosure bansed naming. In fact I do not want enclosure
    based naming, and I cannot seem to disable it! I have run vxinstall again,
    and when it asked about enclosure naming I said no, but when I do vxdisk
    list they are still named by their enclosure type.

    OK so I just removed all VRTS packages from the system, and deleted everything
    under /etc/vx and /usr/lib/vxvm. Then I reinstalled SF, ran vxinstall, said
    NO to enclosure based naming, do vxdisk list and sure enough, there are the
    enclosure names! So then I said OK, I'll just give that host sopme different
    LUNs. Even those new luns show up with enclosure based names! what gives?

    How the heck do I disable enclosure based naming?

    p.s. exact same situation on a linux box, I simply ran vxinstall a 2nd time,
    said no to enclosure names, and vxdisk list shows sda, sdb, sdc, etc, right
    away. Enclosure names are gone. So why not on Solaris??

    Thanks
    Bill

  2. Re: Trying to disable enclosure based naming

    Seems like the problem is Solaris SAN foundation HBA driver using WWN as the
    target instance in the device files. Veritas does not seem to be able to
    deal with that. If it's a simple one or 2 digit target, no problem. If the
    target is a 16 digit WWN, no dice.

    "Bill Shaw" wrote:

    >I have installed SF 4.1 on a Solaris 10 system, and when setting it up initially
    >I said yes to enable enclosure bansed naming. In fact I do not want enclosure
    >based naming, and I cannot seem to disable it! I have run vxinstall again,
    >and when it asked about enclosure naming I said no, but when I do vxdisk
    >list they are still named by their enclosure type.
    >
    >OK so I just removed all VRTS packages from the system, and deleted everything
    >under /etc/vx and /usr/lib/vxvm. Then I reinstalled SF, ran vxinstall, said
    >NO to enclosure based naming, do vxdisk list and sure enough, there are

    the
    >enclosure names! So then I said OK, I'll just give that host sopme different
    >LUNs. Even those new luns show up with enclosure based names! what gives?
    >

    >How the heck do I disable enclosure based naming?
    >
    >p.s. exact same situation on a linux box, I simply ran vxinstall a 2nd time,
    >said no to enclosure names, and vxdisk list shows sda, sdb, sdc, etc, right
    >away. Enclosure names are gone. So why not on Solaris??
    >
    >Thanks
    >Bill

  3. Re: Trying to disable enclosure based naming

    By design !!

    Say Veritas actually showed you the full (native) name !!

    The you wanted to init the disk and tell Vokume Manager not to use it to
    mirror and to use it as a hot spare.

    If you don't use the GUI, just imagine what typing you have to do, and a
    single mistake ( a single digit sometimes) could cause data loss or you
    having to type it all over again.

    You can force the OS to display shorter names (this is calle persistent
    LUN binding and needs to be done in the HBA driver conf. file).

    So, a lot of customers (perhaps with bad admins or perhaps with lazy
    (good) admins, asked Veritas to always use an enclosure name (because
    WWNN will always be in some enclosure).

    If you think about it, it is a good idea.

    OK, so you want to use the native names ?
    How about doing some persistent bindnig (thus shortening the c#t#d#) and
    then tell Volume Manager not to do enclosure based names

    Bill Shaw wrote:
    > Seems like the problem is Solaris SAN foundation HBA driver using WWN as the
    > target instance in the device files. Veritas does not seem to be able to
    > deal with that. If it's a simple one or 2 digit target, no problem. If the
    > target is a 16 digit WWN, no dice.
    >
    > "Bill Shaw" wrote:
    >
    >>I have installed SF 4.1 on a Solaris 10 system, and when setting it up initially
    >>I said yes to enable enclosure bansed naming. In fact I do not want enclosure
    >>based naming, and I cannot seem to disable it! I have run vxinstall again,
    >>and when it asked about enclosure naming I said no, but when I do vxdisk
    >>list they are still named by their enclosure type.
    >>
    >>OK so I just removed all VRTS packages from the system, and deleted everything
    >>under /etc/vx and /usr/lib/vxvm. Then I reinstalled SF, ran vxinstall, said
    >>NO to enclosure based naming, do vxdisk list and sure enough, there are

    > the
    >
    >>enclosure names! So then I said OK, I'll just give that host sopme different
    >>LUNs. Even those new luns show up with enclosure based names! what gives?
    >>

    >>How the heck do I disable enclosure based naming?
    >>
    >>p.s. exact same situation on a linux box, I simply ran vxinstall a 2nd time,
    >>said no to enclosure names, and vxdisk list shows sda, sdb, sdc, etc, right
    >>away. Enclosure names are gone. So why not on Solaris??
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Bill

+ Reply to Thread