vxconfigd "hangs"? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxconfigd "hangs"? - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi -- Solaris 8 Foundation Suite 4.1 We have completed serveral upgrades to Foundation Suite 4.1 for Solaris. We have had 5 instances of trying to create/grow a volume and would receive the following error. VxVM vxassist ERROR V-5-1-10127 creating ...

  1. vxconfigd "hangs"?

    Hi --
    Solaris 8
    Foundation Suite 4.1

    We have completed serveral upgrades to Foundation Suite 4.1 for Solaris.
    We have had 5 instances of trying to create/grow a volume and would receive
    the following error.

    VxVM vxassist ERROR V-5-1-10127 creating subdisk disk0050-04:
    Subdisk disk0050-04 would overlap subdisk disk0050-02
    VxVM vxresize ERROR V-5-1-4703 Problem running vxassist command for volume
    vol173, in diskgroup datadg0003

    We would resolved this by restarting vxconfigd

    vxconfigd -k

    Has anyone else seen this?

  2. Re: vxconfigd "hangs"?

    Question ?

    Are you using the GUI to do this ?

    The reason why I'm asking is because the GUI keeps the Volume Manager
    information in a central location (called the BUS - or also known as the
    Object BUS or OB)

    This OB gets refreshed every now and again (because refressing it every
    5 seconds will slow down your machine a bit (read a hell of a lot here).

    So, you resolved this by doing vxconfigd -k ? This will cause the OB
    to refresh and thus solve your problem.

    You could also have done /etc/init.d/isisd stop followed by
    /etc/init.d/isisd start. This is safer than stopping and restarting
    vxconfigd (you might run into problems if you run a vxconfigd -k with an
    encapsulated boot disk or if you have Cluster Volume Manager)

    Another option would be to learn the command line and run the vxassist
    command on your own (the command the GUI calls in any case)

    u3mw wrote:
    > Hi --
    > Solaris 8
    > Foundation Suite 4.1
    >
    > We have completed serveral upgrades to Foundation Suite 4.1 for Solaris.
    > We have had 5 instances of trying to create/grow a volume and would receive
    > the following error.
    >
    > VxVM vxassist ERROR V-5-1-10127 creating subdisk disk0050-04:
    > Subdisk disk0050-04 would overlap subdisk disk0050-02
    > VxVM vxresize ERROR V-5-1-4703 Problem running vxassist command for volume
    > vol173, in diskgroup datadg0003
    >
    > We would resolved this by restarting vxconfigd
    >
    > vxconfigd -k
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this?

+ Reply to Thread