VxVm 4.1 volumes migration - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VxVm 4.1 volumes migration - Veritas Volume Manager ; is there a way to migrate the volume which were crearted using 4.1 to a older VxVm version??...

  1. VxVm 4.1 volumes migration

    is there a way to migrate the volume which were crearted using 4.1 to a older
    VxVm version??

  2. Re: VxVm 4.1 volumes migration

    Depends how much older version of VM you want to go for.

    vxdg deport DG (from VM 4.1)
    vxdg import DG (on VM 3.x)

    see if it works....

    I have tried the other way and it worked. No experience with stepping down
    the version.

    Hope this helps

    "Dushyant " wrote:

    >is there a way to migrate the volume which were crearted using 4.1 to a

    older
    >VxVm version??

  3. Re: VxVm 4.1 volumes migration

    "Asim Zuberi" wrote:

    >Depends how much older version of VM you want to go for.
    >
    >vxdg deport DG (from VM 4.1)
    >vxdg import DG (on VM 3.x)
    >
    >see if it works....
    >
    >I have tried the other way and it worked. No experience with stepping down
    >the version.
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >

    >"Dushyant " wrote:
    >>
    >>is there a way to migrate the volume which were crearted using 4.1 to a

    >older
    >>VxVm version??

    We already tried, deport and import..it does not work..I was thinking about
    wipping out the private reagion from the 4.1 dgs and then import the dgs..
    do you think that could work

  4. Re: VxVm 4.1 volumes migration

    I don't believe the method you're suggesting would work. You're risking your
    data.
    I suggest make a backup of your data and then try rebuilding from scratch.
    That
    would be cleaner approach as opposed to mess things up.

    Hope this helps.

    "dushyant" wrote:

    >"Asim Zuberi" wrote:
    >>

    >>Depends how much older version of VM you want to go for.
    >>
    >>vxdg deport DG (from VM 4.1)
    >>vxdg import DG (on VM 3.x)
    >>
    >>see if it works....
    >>
    >>I have tried the other way and it worked. No experience with stepping down
    >>the version.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps
    >>

    >>"Dushyant " wrote:
    >>>
    >>>is there a way to migrate the volume which were crearted using 4.1 to

    >>older
    >>>VxVm version??

    >We already tried, deport and import..it does not work..I was thinking about
    >wipping out the private reagion from the 4.1 dgs and then import the dgs..
    >do you think that could work

+ Reply to Thread