Using vxresize to shrink volumes and file systems - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Using vxresize to shrink volumes and file systems - Veritas Volume Manager ; I understand the requirement that a file system must be mounted to run vxresize but need to know whether the file system must be in a quiesced state prior to executing the vxresize command. What are the pitfalls, if any, ...

  1. Using vxresize to shrink volumes and file systems

    I understand the requirement that a file system must be mounted to run vxresize
    but need to know whether the file system must be in a quiesced state prior
    to executing the vxresize command. What are the pitfalls, if any, for executing
    the command when the file system is busy?

  2. Re: Using vxresize to shrink volumes and file systems

    Hi there --

    Actually, all can be done on the fly. But its better to be safe. Perform
    the task when there's low i/o tied to the filesystem.

    example:
    /etc/vx/bin/vxresize -F |vxfs -g DG VOLNAME <+/- size m|g>

    Hope this helps.

    "Steve" wrote:

    >I understand the requirement that a file system must be mounted to run vxresize
    >but need to know whether the file system must be in a quiesced state prior
    >to executing the vxresize command. What are the pitfalls, if any, for executing
    >the command when the file system is busy?

+ Reply to Thread