About different between aixdisk and cdsdisk. - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on About different between aixdisk and cdsdisk. - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi. The CDS disk type is Cross-Platform Data Sharing.But in my AIX system. I couldn't format the disk as cdsdisk. only aixdisk. This disk is not root disk,swap disk,boot disk or mirror disk. So, When we use cdsdisk and when ...

  1. About different between aixdisk and cdsdisk.

    Hi.
    The CDS disk type is Cross-Platform Data Sharing.But in my AIX system. I
    couldn't format the disk as cdsdisk. only aixdisk. This disk is not root
    disk,swap disk,boot disk or mirror disk. So, When we use cdsdisk and when we
    use aixdisk?

    Thanks your help.

    Kindy Li.

  2. Re: About different between aixdisk and cdsdisk.

    OK, on AIX, do you have sliced disks ? NO. So, which other OS will
    understand only disk (no slices) ? ...... OK so CDS between AIX and ????

    Because you do not have slices, you will always have a simple disk in
    AIX. So, if Veritas does not use it, who will ? LVM !!!

    LVM will see any disks not being used (not in the filesystems file and
    not in LVM) as free and will start to use it.

    For LVM to leave the Volume Manager disks alone, there needs to be a
    special "marker" placed on the disk. This is done on the first 256K of
    the disk. (which also rules out CDS because CDS requires the first
    cylinder to ne left open for CDS).

    So, and aix disk is a simple disk that starts after 256K of the disk
    (not a cylinder as for CDS or at position 0 like a simple disk) and has
    the LVM marker in the first 256K of the disk.

    kindy li wrote:
    > Hi.
    > The CDS disk type is Cross-Platform Data Sharing.But in my AIX system. I
    > couldn't format the disk as cdsdisk. only aixdisk. This disk is not root
    > disk,swap disk,boot disk or mirror disk. So, When we use cdsdisk and when we
    > use aixdisk?
    >
    > Thanks your help.
    >
    > Kindy Li.

  3. Re: About different between aixdisk and cdsdisk.

    Hi , Dear Me.
    Thanks. In my case,The support enginner tell me that my DISK-ARRAY is
    not support CDS. only aixdisk

    Thanks .

    "Me" ??????:44E811BE.5010900@hotmail.com...
    > OK, on AIX, do you have sliced disks ? NO. So, which other OS will
    > understand only disk (no slices) ? ...... OK so CDS between AIX and ????
    >
    > Because you do not have slices, you will always have a simple disk in AIX.
    > So, if Veritas does not use it, who will ? LVM !!!
    >
    > LVM will see any disks not being used (not in the filesystems file and not
    > in LVM) as free and will start to use it.
    >
    > For LVM to leave the Volume Manager disks alone, there needs to be a
    > special "marker" placed on the disk. This is done on the first 256K of the
    > disk. (which also rules out CDS because CDS requires the first cylinder to
    > ne left open for CDS).
    >
    > So, and aix disk is a simple disk that starts after 256K of the disk (not
    > a cylinder as for CDS or at position 0 like a simple disk) and has the LVM
    > marker in the first 256K of the disk.
    >
    > kindy li wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >> The CDS disk type is Cross-Platform Data Sharing.But in my AIX
    >> system. I couldn't format the disk as cdsdisk. only aixdisk. This disk is
    >> not root disk,swap disk,boot disk or mirror disk. So, When we use cdsdisk
    >> and when we use aixdisk?
    >>
    >> Thanks your help.
    >>
    >> Kindy Li.

+ Reply to Thread