Diskgroup objects and private region limitation - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Diskgroup objects and private region limitation - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello all, I'm using SF for Oracle including VM4.1 on several hosts (mainly clusters). As we are doing lot of changes on DBs (raw devices on volumes) including resize, move, create, ... Some diskgroup are short in term of private ...

  1. Diskgroup objects and private region limitation

    Hello all,

    I'm using SF for Oracle including VM4.1 on several hosts (mainly clusters).
    As we are doing lot of changes on DBs (raw devices on volumes) including
    resize, move, create, ... Some diskgroup are short in term of private region
    entries available.

    On Solaris, with default private region settings, each objet uses 256B (2
    per block). I've made some tests : Values are retrieve with vxdg list DGNAME
    (check permlen value)

    Creating a diskgroup with one disk = 4 objects
    Adding 1 disk to DG = 2 objects

    This means DG = 2 objects and DM = 2 objects

    Creating a simple volume on single disk = 4 objects ( 1xPL, 1xSD, 1xV, 1x???
    )
    Growing a volume on the same disk (no adjacency) adding a SD sometimes adds
    0 objects, sometimes 2 objects.

    Could someone tell me how to count the exact value for number of objects
    in a DG, number of available free objects ? Moreover, what is the meaning
    for templen ? This value grows sometimes creating volumes, sometimes after
    a deport/import of the DG ...

    Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

  2. Re: Diskgroup objects and private region limitation

    ERRATUM : Check FREE value instead on permlen value.

    "Belokan" wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I'm using SF for Oracle including VM4.1 on several hosts (mainly clusters).
    >As we are doing lot of changes on DBs (raw devices on volumes) including
    >resize, move, create, ... Some diskgroup are short in term of private region
    >entries available.
    >
    >On Solaris, with default private region settings, each objet uses 256B (2
    >per block). I've made some tests : Values are retrieve with vxdg list DGNAME
    >(check permlen value)
    >
    >Creating a diskgroup with one disk = 4 objects
    >Adding 1 disk to DG = 2 objects
    >
    >This means DG = 2 objects and DM = 2 objects
    >
    >Creating a simple volume on single disk = 4 objects ( 1xPL, 1xSD, 1xV, 1x???
    >)
    >Growing a volume on the same disk (no adjacency) adding a SD sometimes adds
    >0 objects, sometimes 2 objects.
    >
    >Could someone tell me how to count the exact value for number of objects
    >in a DG, number of available free objects ? Moreover, what is the meaning
    >for templen ? This value grows sometimes creating volumes, sometimes after
    >a deport/import of the DG ...
    >
    >Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

+ Reply to Thread