Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server - Veritas Volume Manager ; We are using vxvm 4.0. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but is there a way to save all the vxvm configuration into a file and use that file to create all the volumes and diskgroups ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server

  1. Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server


    We are using vxvm 4.0. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but is there
    a way to save all the vxvm configuration into a file and use that file to
    create all the volumes and diskgroups on another server? I am getting ready
    to create the volumes and disk groups manually, but I wanted to know if there
    was a faster way.

    Thanks
    Mike

  2. Re: Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server


    Will the vxconfigbackup and vxconfigrestore commands work?

    "Mike" <****raml@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >We are using vxvm 4.0. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but is

    there
    >a way to save all the vxvm configuration into a file and use that file to
    >create all the volumes and diskgroups on another server? I am getting ready
    >to create the volumes and disk groups manually, but I wanted to know if

    there
    >was a faster way.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike



  3. Re: Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server

    Volume Manager actually saves the configuration on the disks in the disk
    group (it does so in a "private region").

    Once you take the disks to another machine, the configuration goes along.

    As soon as Volume Manager is installed and enabled (if there is a rootdg
    in version 3.5 or lower), you will be able to see the disks (vxdisk -o
    alldgs list) and will be able to import the disk group (vxdg -C import)

    You just need to make sure that :

    1. The disks are not imported on the previous machine
    2. You need to clear out the host ID from the previous machine (by
    importing with a "-C" option)


    Too easy !!



    Mike wrote:
    > Will the vxconfigbackup and vxconfigrestore commands work?
    >
    > "Mike" <****raml@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>We are using vxvm 4.0. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but is

    >
    > there
    >
    >>a way to save all the vxvm configuration into a file and use that file to
    >>create all the volumes and diskgroups on another server? I am getting ready
    >>to create the volumes and disk groups manually, but I wanted to know if

    >
    > there
    >
    >>was a faster way.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Mike

    >
    >


  4. Re: Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server


    Sorry if I was not clear. I want to create server B using a different set
    of disks that mirror the volume configuration of server A. Instead of creating
    all the volumes manually like normal, I was wondering if I could backup the
    config using vxconfigbackup on server A and then transfer over the backup
    files to server B. On server B I would run vxconfigrestore to build all
    of the diskgroups and volumes.

    Me wrote:
    >Volume Manager actually saves the configuration on the disks in the disk


    >group (it does so in a "private region").
    >
    >Once you take the disks to another machine, the configuration goes along.
    >
    >As soon as Volume Manager is installed and enabled (if there is a rootdg


    >in version 3.5 or lower), you will be able to see the disks (vxdisk -o
    >alldgs list) and will be able to import the disk group (vxdg -C import)
    >
    >You just need to make sure that :
    >
    >1. The disks are not imported on the previous machine
    >2. You need to clear out the host ID from the previous machine (by
    >importing with a "-C" option)
    >
    >
    >Too easy !!
    >
    >
    >
    >Mike wrote:
    >> Will the vxconfigbackup and vxconfigrestore commands work?
    >>
    >> "Mike" <****raml@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>We are using vxvm 4.0. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but

    is
    >>
    >> there
    >>
    >>>a way to save all the vxvm configuration into a file and use that file

    to
    >>>create all the volumes and diskgroups on another server? I am getting

    ready
    >>>to create the volumes and disk groups manually, but I wanted to know if

    >>
    >> there
    >>
    >>>was a faster way.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Mike

    >>
    >>



  5. Re: Save VXVM configuration and Restore it on another server

    OK, sorry did not understand it that way.


    OK, what you need to do is the following:


    1. Get the data of how the volumes are configured on server A into a
    file (yes the backup can be used)

    2. Now on server B, for the backup or the configuration file to work,
    you need to setup disks with the asme name as on server A and then use
    the data file to "make" (use the vxmake utility) the new volumes on the
    new server, or use the backup restore files to do this (the backup
    restore might not work without setting up the disks, because the restore
    will try to initialize disks that were used on server A that might be
    smaller or not available at all on server B)



    See veritas technote 263929 (on the support.veritas.com site) for the
    restore options and

    see technote 180321 for how to do this using vxmake




    Mike wrote:
    > Sorry if I was not clear. I want to create server B using a different set
    > of disks that mirror the volume configuration of server A. Instead of creating
    > all the volumes manually like normal, I was wondering if I could backup the
    > config using vxconfigbackup on server A and then transfer over the backup
    > files to server B. On server B I would run vxconfigrestore to build all
    > of the diskgroups and volumes.
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>Volume Manager actually saves the configuration on the disks in the disk

    >
    >
    >>group (it does so in a "private region").
    >>
    >>Once you take the disks to another machine, the configuration goes along.
    >>
    >>As soon as Volume Manager is installed and enabled (if there is a rootdg

    >
    >
    >>in version 3.5 or lower), you will be able to see the disks (vxdisk -o
    >>alldgs list) and will be able to import the disk group (vxdg -C import)
    >>
    >>You just need to make sure that :
    >>
    >>1. The disks are not imported on the previous machine
    >>2. You need to clear out the host ID from the previous machine (by
    >>importing with a "-C" option)
    >>
    >>
    >>Too easy !!
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Mike wrote:
    >>
    >>>Will the vxconfigbackup and vxconfigrestore commands work?
    >>>
    >>>"Mike" <****raml@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>We are using vxvm 4.0. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but

    >
    > is
    >
    >>>there
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>a way to save all the vxvm configuration into a file and use that file

    >
    > to
    >
    >>>>create all the volumes and diskgroups on another server? I am getting

    >
    > ready
    >
    >>>>to create the volumes and disk groups manually, but I wanted to know if
    >>>
    >>>there
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>was a faster way.
    >>>>
    >>>>Thanks
    >>>>Mike
    >>>
    >>>

    >


+ Reply to Thread