veritas stripe layouts - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on veritas stripe layouts - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, just wanted to put this question out.. I've got 20 LUN's that have been allocated fom 4 different RAID groups in an array that I have attached. I want to lay these out as a stripe, with a column ...

  1. veritas stripe layouts

    Hi,

    just wanted to put this question out.. I've got 20 LUN's that have been allocated
    fom 4 different RAID groups in an array that I have attached. I want to lay
    these out as a stripe, with a column width of 5 LUN's, but I want to make
    sure that each column comprises of a disk from a seperate RAID array.. I
    believe I can do this with vxassist by just telling it which disks to use
    manually, e.g.

    vxassist -g datadg make v_stripe $size layout=stripe ncols=5 rg1_disk1,rg2_disk1,rg3_disk1,rg4_disk1,rg5_disk1, rg1_disk2,rg2_disk2,rg3_disk2,rg4_disk2,rg5_disk2
    (etc.etc.etc)

    Will vxassist use the disk allocation names in this order? e.g. the first
    stripe column will be all disk1 disks, , the next all disk2 disks, etc.etc?

  2. Re: veritas stripe layouts

    add the "-o ordered" option

    volume manager will use the disks on differnt controllers first, and if
    the disks are not on different controllers, will use the first disk in
    it's own list (not yours you specified on the command line) that
    satisfies the criteria (enough space , ....). If you specify the option
    (oredered), your list (in order) will be used

    If you have 4.0 or above, you can always start building rules and
    policies for ISP (but that is a loooooong story)

    dk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > just wanted to put this question out.. I've got 20 LUN's that have been allocated
    > fom 4 different RAID groups in an array that I have attached. I want to lay
    > these out as a stripe, with a column width of 5 LUN's, but I want to make
    > sure that each column comprises of a disk from a seperate RAID array.. I
    > believe I can do this with vxassist by just telling it which disks to use
    > manually, e.g.
    >
    > vxassist -g datadg make v_stripe $size layout=stripe ncols=5 rg1_disk1,rg2_disk1,rg3_disk1,rg4_disk1,rg5_disk1, rg1_disk2,rg2_disk2,rg3_disk2,rg4_disk2,rg5_disk2
    > (etc.etc.etc)
    >
    > Will vxassist use the disk allocation names in this order? e.g. the first
    > stripe column will be all disk1 disks, , the next all disk2 disks, etc.etc?

  3. Re: veritas stripe layouts

    Hi,

    fantastic - many thanks.

    Me wrote:
    >add the "-o ordered" option
    >

    >volume manager will use the disks on differnt controllers first, and if

    >the disks are not on different controllers, will use the first disk in
    >it's own list (not yours you specified on the command line) that
    >satisfies the criteria (enough space , ....). If you specify the option

    >(oredered), your list (in order) will be used
    >

    >If you have 4.0 or above, you can always start building rules and
    >policies for ISP (but that is a loooooong story)
    >

    >dk wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> just wanted to put this question out.. I've got 20 LUN's that have been

    allocated
    >> fom 4 different RAID groups in an array that I have attached. I want to

    lay
    >> these out as a stripe, with a column width of 5 LUN's, but I want to make
    >> sure that each column comprises of a disk from a seperate RAID array..

    >> believe I can do this with vxassist by just telling it which disks to

    use
    >> manually, e.g.
    >>
    >> vxassist -g datadg make v_stripe $size layout=stripe ncols=5 rg1_disk1,rg2_disk1,rg3_disk1,rg4_disk1,rg5_disk1, rg1_disk2,rg2_disk2,rg3_disk2,rg4_disk2,rg5_disk2
    >> (etc.etc.etc)
    >>
    >> Will vxassist use the disk allocation names in this order? e.g. the first
    >> stripe column will be all disk1 disks, , the next all disk2 disks, etc.etc?

+ Reply to Thread