Migrating from sun E10K with VxVM & VxFS 3.5 & Solaris8 to new host with VxVM &VxFS4.1 & Solaris 8 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Migrating from sun E10K with VxVM & VxFS 3.5 & Solaris8 to new host with VxVM &VxFS4.1 & Solaris 8 - Veritas Volume Manager ; Current plan for a dryrun weekend: The current server with Veritas 3.5 packages is attached to EMC DMX2000 via 2 JNIC HBA cards will be disconnected from the frame. The New server host, with Veritas 4.1 MP2 of VM, FS, ...

  1. Migrating from sun E10K with VxVM & VxFS 3.5 & Solaris8 to new host with VxVM &VxFS4.1 & Solaris 8

    Current plan for a dryrun weekend:
    The current server with Veritas 3.5 packages is attached to EMC DMX2000 via
    2 JNIC HBA cards will be disconnected from the frame. The
    New server host, with Veritas 4.1 MP2 of VM, FS, will be connected to the
    DMX2000 via Qlogic 2342 or 2342 HBAs to the same ports of the frame.
    At end of dryrun:
    Connect the current E10K server back to the ports of the DMX2000 frame.

    Cutover weekend:
    New server will be connected to the DMX2000 via the same ports of the frame.

    Has anyone done that before could share some experience, prep-steps and precautions.
    Does anyone forsee any issue to diskgroup ids, veritas disklayout version
    (we are running a combination of disklayout versions 4 & 5) due to different
    version of veritas packages? What would be the proper steps?
    Thank you.

  2. Re: Migrating from sun E10K with VxVM & VxFS 3.5 & Solaris8 to newhost with VxVM &VxFS4.1 & Solaris 8

    well, just connecting will not be a problem.
    If you want to import the diskgroups it is something else.

    Each disk in the diskgroup as a host flag on it. This will prevent you
    from just importing the diskgroup.

    First, see if you can see the disks : vxdisk -o alldgs list

    The disks should be "online" with the name of the diskgroup in brackets "()"

    Then you can import the diskgroup by clearing the hostid flag.

    vxdg -C import

    Just a note here. If you import the diskgroup and you reconnect the
    original (old) machine again, you'll have to do teh same (import with
    the "-C" flag)

    mikeli wrote:
    > Current plan for a dryrun weekend:
    > The current server with Veritas 3.5 packages is attached to EMC DMX2000 via
    > 2 JNIC HBA cards will be disconnected from the frame. The
    > New server host, with Veritas 4.1 MP2 of VM, FS, will be connected to the
    > DMX2000 via Qlogic 2342 or 2342 HBAs to the same ports of the frame.
    > At end of dryrun:
    > Connect the current E10K server back to the ports of the DMX2000 frame.
    >
    > Cutover weekend:
    > New server will be connected to the DMX2000 via the same ports of the frame.
    >
    > Has anyone done that before could share some experience, prep-steps and precautions.
    > Does anyone forsee any issue to diskgroup ids, veritas disklayout version
    > (we are running a combination of disklayout versions 4 & 5) due to different
    > version of veritas packages? What would be the proper steps?
    > Thank you.

  3. Re: Migrating from sun E10K with VxVM & VxFS 3.5 & Solaris8 to new

    Just a small addition, if you're going to vxfs 4.1 only upgrade the volume
    groups and disk groups after you are sure you don't want to back out - you
    can't read vxfs 4.1 volumes from vxfs 3.3.

    Me wrote:
    >well, just connecting will not be a problem.
    >If you want to import the diskgroups it is something else.
    >
    >Each disk in the diskgroup as a host flag on it. This will prevent you
    >from just importing the diskgroup.
    >

    >First, see if you can see the disks : vxdisk -o alldgs list
    >
    >The disks should be "online" with the name of the diskgroup in brackets

    "()"

    >Then you can import the diskgroup by clearing the hostid flag.
    >
    >vxdg -C import
    >

    >Just a note here. If you import the diskgroup and you reconnect the
    >original (old) machine again, you'll have to do teh same (import with
    >the "-C" flag)
    >

    >mikeli wrote:
    >> Current plan for a dryrun weekend:
    >> The current server with Veritas 3.5 packages is attached to EMC DMX2000

    via
    >> 2 JNIC HBA cards will be disconnected from the frame. The
    >> New server host, with Veritas 4.1 MP2 of VM, FS, will be connected to

    the
    >> DMX2000 via Qlogic 2342 or 2342 HBAs to the same ports of the frame.
    >> At end of dryrun:
    >> Connect the current E10K server back to the ports of the DMX2000 frame.
    >>
    >> Cutover weekend:
    >> New server will be connected to the DMX2000 via the same ports of the

    frame.

    >> Has anyone done that before could share some experience, prep-steps and

    precautions.
    >> Does anyone forsee any issue to diskgroup ids, veritas disklayout version
    >> (we are running a combination of disklayout versions 4 & 5) due to different
    >> version of veritas packages? What would be the proper steps?
    >> Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread