when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur? - Veritas Volume Manager ; There are 2 situations: 1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup 2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and then ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?

  1. Re: when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?

    There are 2 situations:


    1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on
    the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup

    2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and
    then for each machine, on import the keys will be placed on the disks


    Lee Sung Hwan wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > when VERITAS Volume Manager's Disk Group imported,
    > SCSI Reservation occured?
    >


  2. when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?


    Dear All,

    when VERITAS Volume Manager's Disk Group imported,
    SCSI Reservation occured?


  3. Re: when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?


    Thanks for respond.
    but I have another question.

    When It is Not Cluster Environment(only VxVM installed).
    VERITAS Volume Manager occur SCSI Reservation when DiskGroup import/export?

    Me wrote:
    >There are 2 situations:
    >
    >
    >1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on
    >the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup
    >
    >2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and
    >then for each machine, on import the keys will be placed on the disks
    >
    >
    >Lee Sung Hwan wrote:
    >> Dear All,
    >>
    >> when VERITAS Volume Manager's Disk Group imported,
    >> SCSI Reservation occured?
    >>



  4. Re: when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?

    No

    Although it is Vxvm that places the keys on the disks, without VCS or
    RAC telling VxVM to put the keys on, it will not be placed on by VxVM alone

    lee sunghwan wrote:
    > Thanks for respond.
    > but I have another question.
    >
    > When It is Not Cluster Environment(only VxVM installed).
    > VERITAS Volume Manager occur SCSI Reservation when DiskGroup import/export?
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>There are 2 situations:
    >>
    >>
    >>1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on
    >>the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup
    >>
    >>2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and
    >>then for each machine, on import the keys will be placed on the disks
    >>
    >>
    >>Lee Sung Hwan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dear All,
    >>>
    >>>when VERITAS Volume Manager's Disk Group imported,
    >>>SCSI Reservation occured?
    >>>

    >
    >


  5. Re: when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?


    Thansk for response.
    but, my opinion is different.

    VCS DiskRes Agent uses SCSI-II reservation. SCSI-II Reservation has no key.
    but SCSI-III Persistent Group Reservation uses registration(key) and reservation.

    I asked only SCSI-II reservation.
    I guessed when vxvm Disk Group imported, scsi-II reservation occured, but
    I can't tell with confidence.

    Me wrote:
    >No
    >
    >Although it is Vxvm that places the keys on the disks, without VCS or
    >RAC telling VxVM to put the keys on, it will not be placed on by VxVM alone
    >
    >lee sunghwan wrote:
    >> Thanks for respond.
    >> but I have another question.
    >>
    >> When It is Not Cluster Environment(only VxVM installed).
    >> VERITAS Volume Manager occur SCSI Reservation when DiskGroup import/export?
    >>
    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >>>There are 2 situations:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on


    >>>the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup
    >>>
    >>>2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and


    >>>then for each machine, on import the keys will be placed on the disks
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Lee Sung Hwan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Dear All,
    >>>>
    >>>>when VERITAS Volume Manager's Disk Group imported,
    >>>>SCSI Reservation occured?
    >>>>

    >>
    >>



  6. Re: when vxdg import, SCSI Reservation occur?

    > I asked only SCSI-II reservation.


    Well, first time you mentioned SCSI II


    SCSI II reservations are only for disks in the disk reservation, and the
    reservation is placed on the disks as soon as the reservation resource
    goes online.



    SCSI II reservations are very old and not persistent (if you looese
    connection to the disks, the reservation is gone. The disk reservation
    ganet will no longer be used in VCS 5.0

    All the explaining I did was for SCSI III PGR (Persistent Group
    Reservation) keys.


    >>>>There are 2 situations:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on

    >
    >
    >>>>the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup
    >>>>
    >>>>2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and

    >
    >
    >>>>then for each machine, on import the keys will be placed on the disks






    As you can see point 1 metioned SCSI 3 directly and if you read the RAC
    guide you will see that only SCSI 3 is supported







    Lee sung hwan wrote:
    > Thansk for response.
    > but, my opinion is different.
    >
    > VCS DiskRes Agent uses SCSI-II reservation. SCSI-II Reservation has no key.
    > but SCSI-III Persistent Group Reservation uses registration(key) and reservation.
    >
    > I asked only SCSI-II reservation.
    > I guessed when vxvm Disk Group imported, scsi-II reservation occured, but
    > I can't tell with confidence.
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>No
    >>
    >>Although it is Vxvm that places the keys on the disks, without VCS or
    >>RAC telling VxVM to put the keys on, it will not be placed on by VxVM alone
    >>
    >>lee sunghwan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks for respond.
    >>>but I have another question.
    >>>
    >>>When It is Not Cluster Environment(only VxVM installed).
    >>>VERITAS Volume Manager occur SCSI Reservation when DiskGroup import/export?
    >>>
    >>>Me wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>There are 2 situations:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>1. You're using "UseFence=SCSI3" in the main.cf, it will place keys on

    >
    >
    >>>>the local diskgroups as soon as VCS imports the diskgroup
    >>>>
    >>>>2. You are using RAC, the diskgroup gets imported on all machines, and

    >
    >
    >>>>then for each machine, on import the keys will be placed on the disks
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Lee Sung Hwan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Dear All,
    >>>>>
    >>>>>when VERITAS Volume Manager's Disk Group imported,
    >>>>>SCSI Reservation occured?
    >>>>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >


+ Reply to Thread