vxsetupdisk fail on linux - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxsetupdisk fail on linux - Veritas Volume Manager ; Environment : EMC disk + linux As3 U 6 + Veritas 4.0 MP2 Problem: Can't add EMC disk veritas. Output ; fdisk -l /dev/sdb Disk /dev/sdb: 17.1 GB, 17183539200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2089 cylinders Units = cylinders of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: vxsetupdisk fail on linux

  1. vxsetupdisk fail on linux


    Environment : EMC disk + linux As3 U 6 + Veritas 4.0 MP2
    Problem: Can't add EMC disk veritas.

    Output ;
    fdisk -l /dev/sdb

    Disk /dev/sdb: 17.1 GB, 17183539200 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2089 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb3 1 2089 16779861 83 Linux

    bash-2.05b# vxdisksetup -i sdb
    VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : No such
    device
    VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdb: init failed:
    Disk is not usable

    Anyone know why ?

    Regards, JA

  2. Re: vxsetupdisk fail on linux

    put an empty dos partition on the disk then try again



    jautom wrote:
    > Environment : EMC disk + linux As3 U 6 + Veritas 4.0 MP2
    > Problem: Can't add EMC disk veritas.
    >
    > Output ;
    > fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    >
    > Disk /dev/sdb: 17.1 GB, 17183539200 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2089 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sdb3 1 2089 16779861 83 Linux
    >
    > bash-2.05b# vxdisksetup -i sdb
    > VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : No such
    > device
    > VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdb: init failed:
    > Disk is not usable
    >
    > Anyone know why ?
    >
    > Regards, JA


  3. Re: vxsetupdisk fail on linux


    I did already, it fail, I also try to create partition on 3 instead of 1,
    because there is some doc talk about veritas on linux share partition 3 for
    public and private session.

    Me wrote:
    >put an empty dos partition on the disk then try again
    >
    >
    >
    >jautom wrote:
    >> Environment : EMC disk + linux As3 U 6 + Veritas 4.0 MP2
    >> Problem: Can't add EMC disk veritas.
    >>
    >> Output ;
    >> fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    >>
    >> Disk /dev/sdb: 17.1 GB, 17183539200 bytes
    >> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2089 cylinders
    >> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    >>
    >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >> /dev/sdb3 1 2089 16779861 83 Linux
    >>
    >> bash-2.05b# vxdisksetup -i sdb
    >> VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : No

    such
    >> device
    >> VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdb: init failed:
    >> Disk is not usable
    >>
    >> Anyone know why ?
    >>
    >> Regards, JA



  4. Re: vxsetupdisk fail on linux

    Volume Manager will create partitions 3 and 4 (for sliced disks) when
    you run vxdisksetup (version 4.0 or 4.1 will create CDS disks by default).

    OK, try the following:

    1. put an empty dos partition on the disk (sdb)
    2. run vxdisksetup -i /dev/sdb format=sliced


    jautom wrote:
    > I did already, it fail, I also try to create partition on 3 instead of 1,
    > because there is some doc talk about veritas on linux share partition 3 for
    > public and private session.
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>put an empty dos partition on the disk then try again
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>jautom wrote:
    >>
    >>>Environment : EMC disk + linux As3 U 6 + Veritas 4.0 MP2
    >>>Problem: Can't add EMC disk veritas.
    >>>
    >>>Output ;
    >>>fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    >>>
    >>>Disk /dev/sdb: 17.1 GB, 17183539200 bytes
    >>>255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2089 cylinders
    >>>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    >>>
    >>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >>>/dev/sdb3 1 2089 16779861 83 Linux
    >>>
    >>>bash-2.05b# vxdisksetup -i sdb
    >>>VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : No

    >
    > such
    >
    >>>device
    >>>VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdb: init failed:
    >>> Disk is not usable
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know why ?
    >>>
    >>>Regards, JA

    >
    >


  5. Re: vxsetupdisk fail on linux


    Hello all,

    I'm facing the exact same situation as jautom.

    Environment : EMC CX700 + linux AS3 U6 + Veritas4.0 MP2
    Problem: Can't init external disks by Veritas, even though those can be used
    (mount and write) on OS level.

    I tried empty dos partition as attached, but still failed.
    Also tried "create a new empty Sun disklabel", but no confident about the
    detail queries (Heads/Sectors/Cylinders/Alternate Cylinders/RPM), and vxdisksetup
    result was no such device...

    Interesting is depends on the format way, vxdisksetup replys different error
    message. Could someone help this ?

    Thanks and Regards/Yoshi

    ======= fdisk log =======
    [root@XXXXX01 root]# fdisk /dev/sdc

    The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1174.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

    Command (m for help): p

    Disk /dev/sdc: 9663 MB, 9663676416 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1174 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

    Command (m for help):

    ======= vxdisksetup log =======
    [root@XXXXX01 root]# vxdisksetup -i sdc format=sliced
    VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : Success
    VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdc: init failed:
    Disk VTOC does not list private partition

    [root@XXXXX01 root]# vxdisksetup -i sdc
    VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : Success
    VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdc: init failed:
    Disk is not usable


    Me wrote:
    >Volume Manager will create partitions 3 and 4 (for sliced disks) when
    >you run vxdisksetup (version 4.0 or 4.1 will create CDS disks by default).
    >
    >OK, try the following:
    >
    >1. put an empty dos partition on the disk (sdb)
    >2. run vxdisksetup -i /dev/sdb format=sliced
    >
    >
    >jautom wrote:
    >> I did already, it fail, I also try to create partition on 3 instead of

    1,
    >> because there is some doc talk about veritas on linux share partition

    3 for
    >> public and private session.
    >>
    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >>>put an empty dos partition on the disk then try again
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>jautom wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Environment : EMC disk + linux As3 U 6 + Veritas 4.0 MP2
    >>>>Problem: Can't add EMC disk veritas.
    >>>>
    >>>>Output ;
    >>>>fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    >>>>
    >>>>Disk /dev/sdb: 17.1 GB, 17183539200 bytes
    >>>>255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2089 cylinders
    >>>>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    >>>>
    >>>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >>>>/dev/sdb3 1 2089 16779861 83 Linux
    >>>>
    >>>>bash-2.05b# vxdisksetup -i sdb
    >>>>VxVM vxedpart ERROR V-5-1-10091 partition pre-verification failed : No

    >>
    >> such
    >>
    >>>>device
    >>>>VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-5433 Device sdb: init failed:
    >>>> Disk is not usable
    >>>>
    >>>>Anyone know why ?
    >>>>
    >>>>Regards, JA

    >>
    >>



  6. Re: vxsetupdisk fail on linux


    Hello,

    try the following:

    vxdisksetup -if /dev/sdb format=simple


    --
    asya
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    asya's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/533
    View this thread: http://unixadmintalk.com/showthread.php?t=1662


+ Reply to Thread