How to make out the volume layout from comman line - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on How to make out the volume layout from comman line - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello All, Please let me know how to make out the layout type of a volume ( concat, stripe, mirror, 1+0, 0+1, layered etc) from command line. I have seen CONCAT for concatanated volume in vxprint -ht output.Please give a ...

  1. How to make out the volume layout from comman line

    Hello All,

    Please let me know how to make out the layout type of a volume ( concat,
    stripe, mirror, 1+0, 0+1, layered etc) from command line. I have seen CONCAT
    for concatanated volume in vxprint -ht output.Please give a short summary
    on what will be displayed for other types for easy recognition.

    Thanks

  2. Re: How to make out the volume layout from comman line

    man vxassist

    All new volumes aer created with the vxassist command and the
    "layout=???????" option. The default layout is concatenated.

    Say you want to create a 5 column stripe (RAID 0)

    vxassist -g make layout=stripe ncols=5

    If you want to add mirrors to any volume (RAID 1)

    vxassist -g mirror nmirrors=2

    (above will put 2 mirrors on a volume)

    If you want to do a layered volume (like a concat-mirror)

    vxassist -g make layout=concat-mirror

    Also see the Volume Manager Admin Guide

    Biju K Joseph wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Please let me know how to make out the layout type of a volume ( concat,
    > stripe, mirror, 1+0, 0+1, layered etc) from command line. I have seen CONCAT
    > for concatanated volume in vxprint -ht output.Please give a short summary
    > on what will be displayed for other types for easy recognition.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: How to make out the volume layout from comman line

    Hello There,

    I think I didnt conveyed the exact question.I am clear about how to create
    volumes of different layouts.But my question is how to identity what is the
    type of a volume adter creation.

    I have a system with lot of volumes already created.We are planning for some
    upgradation.So want to make out what is the type of volumes already existing.vxprint
    -ht is not helping much.My question is if the volume is 0+1 what will be
    displayed by vxprint, what if it is 1+0, and so on.

    Thanks for your time.

    Biju.

    Me wrote:
    >man vxassist
    >

    >All new volumes aer created with the vxassist command and the
    >"layout=???????" option. The default layout is concatenated.
    >
    >Say you want to create a 5 column stripe (RAID 0)
    >
    >vxassist -g make layout=stripe ncols=5
    >
    >If you want to add mirrors to any volume (RAID 1)
    >
    >vxassist -g mirror nmirrors=2
    >
    >(above will put 2 mirrors on a volume)
    >

    >If you want to do a layered volume (like a concat-mirror)
    >
    >vxassist -g make layout=concat-mirror
    >

    >Also see the Volume Manager Admin Guide
    >

    >Biju K Joseph wrote:
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> Please let me know how to make out the layout type of a volume ( concat,
    >> stripe, mirror, 1+0, 0+1, layered etc) from command line. I have seen

    CONCAT
    >> for concatanated volume in vxprint -ht output.Please give a short summary
    >> on what will be displayed for other types for easy recognition.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: How to make out the volume layout from comman line

    Again look at the vxprint output.

    Best would be vxprint -thr

    Now, for layered volumes, you will always see sub-volumes (these are
    lines starting with "sv"). So, if you have any volume with a "sv" line,
    it is a layered. Trick is now to figure out what kind of layered volume
    this is. Could either be striped or concat. So look at the top volume to
    see how it is layed out (will contain the word CONCAT or STRIPE).

    If you're not sure, post 1 (or more) here and I will explain

    Biju K Joseph wrote:
    > Hello There,
    >
    > I think I didnt conveyed the exact question.I am clear about how to create
    > volumes of different layouts.But my question is how to identity what is the
    > type of a volume adter creation.
    >
    > I have a system with lot of volumes already created.We are planning for some
    > upgradation.So want to make out what is the type of volumes already existing.vxprint
    > -ht is not helping much.My question is if the volume is 0+1 what will be
    > displayed by vxprint, what if it is 1+0, and so on.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Biju.
    >

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>man vxassist
    >>

    >>All new volumes aer created with the vxassist command and the
    >>"layout=???????" option. The default layout is concatenated.
    >>
    >>Say you want to create a 5 column stripe (RAID 0)
    >>
    >>vxassist -g make layout=stripe ncols=5
    >>
    >>If you want to add mirrors to any volume (RAID 1)
    >>
    >>vxassist -g mirror nmirrors=2
    >>
    >>(above will put 2 mirrors on a volume)
    >>

    >>If you want to do a layered volume (like a concat-mirror)
    >>
    >>vxassist -g make layout=concat-mirror
    >>

    >>Also see the Volume Manager Admin Guide
    >>

    >>Biju K Joseph wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello All,
    >>>
    >>>Please let me know how to make out the layout type of a volume ( concat,
    >>>stripe, mirror, 1+0, 0+1, layered etc) from command line. I have seen

    > CONCAT
    >
    >>>for concatanated volume in vxprint -ht output.Please give a short summary
    >>>on what will be displayed for other types for easy recognition.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

  5. Re: How to make out the volume layout from comman line

    Thank you very much..This was a nice piece of information..

+ Reply to Thread