what is the difference between VM4.0 and VM4.1 in terms of how DMP works? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on what is the difference between VM4.0 and VM4.1 in terms of how DMP works? - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, I am new to DMP environment and need to participate in an effort to migrate from VM4.0 to VM4.1. Could someone give me a brief idea of the differences between them in terms of how DMP works? Thanks a ...

  1. what is the difference between VM4.0 and VM4.1 in terms of how DMP works?

    Hi,

    I am new to DMP environment and need to participate in an effort to migrate
    from VM4.0 to VM4.1. Could someone give me a brief idea of the differences
    between them in terms of how DMP works?

    Thanks a lot

    Jen

  2. Re: what is the difference between VM4.0 and VM4.1 in terms of howDMP works?

    The biggest difference between 4.0 and 4.1 with regards to DMP, is that
    4.1 support Third Party Devices (TPD).

    So what does that mean in english ?

    Best is to descibe with an example:

    Version 4.0 if you have powerdevices (which means that you will have
    powerpath installed). Now, DMP will do a bit of calculation to figure
    out how to split the IO (to spread the load) and a bit of calculation to
    determine if both the paths are alive, and will then do the IO.

    PowerPath will intercept the IO, start it's own calculations and
    eventually send the IO to the disk.

    So we have 2 pieces of DMP software doing calculation (and thus taking a
    bit of time), before the IO goes to the disk.

    The other thing is that in Version 4.0, you have to tell Volume Manager
    about the foreign devices.

    Now, 4.1 with the new Array Support Library (ASL) will know what
    powerdevices are, and will allow the third part driver (PowerPath) to do
    everything.

    Appart from that, there is the normal bug fixes that goes into later
    versions (having said that, 4.0MP1 and MP2 contains more fixes than 4.1)

    Jen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to DMP environment and need to participate in an effort to migrate
    > from VM4.0 to VM4.1. Could someone give me a brief idea of the differences
    > between them in terms of how DMP works?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Jen

+ Reply to Thread