VxVM 3.5 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VxVM 3.5 - Veritas Volume Manager ; The name of the diskgroup is generated at time of creation. It can not be changed. The name at the back of the diskgroup id, can not be changed and has no effect on being able to import the diskgroup ...

  1. Re: VxVM 3.5

    The name of the diskgroup is generated at time of creation. It can not
    be changed. The name at the back of the diskgroup id, can not be changed
    and has no effect on being able to import the diskgroup on a machine.

    You've done all the rest (no need to deport/import with the -h option,
    but no harm done)

    OK, just for you info, the name of the diskgroup is the following:

    timestamp.random-3-digit-number.hostname-the-dg-was-created-on

    The only way to get a new diskgroup id, is to re-create the diskgroup
    (in the case of rootdg, you most likely need to re-encapsulate the boot
    disk)

    OK, so how will you re-create a diskgroup (still don't think you need to
    do this, but what the heck)

    vxprint -mqQvpsg

    Save this in a file (say /var/keep)

    Then get a list of the disks being used in the diskgroup (best place is
    doing a vxprint -thg )

    Now, for all the disks in the diskgroup,

    vxdisk -f init

    then re-create the diskgroup:

    vxdg init disk_name=disk, disk_name=disk ........

    Then make the volumes, sub-disks, plexes

    vxmake -g -d

    And then you'll have a new diskgroup id, with the name of the host that
    it aws created on.

    (too much of a hassle if you ask me)

    Heiko wrote:
    > Hi @all I have a problem to change the hostid on a Solaris 9 server. The server
    > got a new name and I have to change the hostid in VxVM also. So I used "vxdctl
    > hostid " vxdctl list shows that the vxconfigd got the new name
    > and the volboot file was correct. vxdisk -s list shows that the disks got
    > also the new hostid, but the diskid and the dgid had the old hostname. So
    > I tried to deport the diskgroups with the option -h and import
    > again with the option -C for a clear import. The import was successfull,
    > but the diskid and the dgid was still the old one. I rebooted the server,
    > but still the old name was in the diskid and the dgid. Can you help me how
    > to change these id's? Also the problem is, that the rootdg can't be deported
    > so how can I change the diskid and dgid for the rootdg?
    >
    > Thankyou for your help
    > Heiko

  2. VxVM 3.5

    Hi @all I have a problem to change the hostid on a Solaris 9 server. The server
    got a new name and I have to change the hostid in VxVM also. So I used "vxdctl
    hostid " vxdctl list shows that the vxconfigd got the new name
    and the volboot file was correct. vxdisk -s list shows that the disks got
    also the new hostid, but the diskid and the dgid had the old hostname. So
    I tried to deport the diskgroups with the option -h and import
    again with the option -C for a clear import. The import was successfull,
    but the diskid and the dgid was still the old one. I rebooted the server,
    but still the old name was in the diskid and the dgid. Can you help me how
    to change these id's? Also the problem is, that the rootdg can't be deported
    so how can I change the diskid and dgid for the rootdg?

    Thankyou for your help
    Heiko

  3. Re: VxVM 3.5

    Thank's for your quick help. I have a question about your answer. The diskgroup
    id can not be changed, but why does ist change when I import the diskgroup
    on another server? I think I saw this when I imported the diskgroup on another
    testserver. When I import a diskgroup on another server with the option -C
    only the HostID is changed and not the diskgroup ID, is this correct?

    Me wrote:
    >The name of the diskgroup is generated at time of creation. It can not
    >be changed. The name at the back of the diskgroup id, can not be changed

    >and has no effect on being able to import the diskgroup on a machine.
    >
    >You've done all the rest (no need to deport/import with the -h option,
    >but no harm done)
    >
    >OK, just for you info, the name of the diskgroup is the following:
    >
    >timestamp.random-3-digit-number.hostname-the-dg-was-created-on
    >

    >The only way to get a new diskgroup id, is to re-create the diskgroup
    >(in the case of rootdg, you most likely need to re-encapsulate the boot

    >disk)
    >

    >OK, so how will you re-create a diskgroup (still don't think you need to

    >do this, but what the heck)
    >
    >vxprint -mqQvpsg
    >

    >Save this in a file (say /var/keep)
    >
    >Then get a list of the disks being used in the diskgroup (best place is

    >doing a vxprint -thg )
    >
    >Now, for all the disks in the diskgroup,
    >
    >vxdisk -f init
    >
    >then re-create the diskgroup:
    >
    >vxdg init disk_name=disk, disk_name=disk ........
    >
    >Then make the volumes, sub-disks, plexes
    >

    >vxmake -g -d
    >

    >And then you'll have a new diskgroup id, with the name of the host that

    >it aws created on.
    >
    >(too much of a hassle if you ask me)

  4. Re: VxVM 3.5

    Well, here Ihave 2 machines.

    The one is called "milan", the other is called "rome".

    Now, on these machines I have some strange diskgroups.

    Both have a diskgroup called vvrdg (this is a unique diskgroup on each
    machine)

    I also have a shared diskgroup (this is a diskgroup that can be imported
    on both machines at the same time).

    I then also have a diskgroup called "italodg", that I have created on
    rome, and will deport and import on "milan".

    rome:/ # vxdg list
    NAME STATE ID
    italodg enabled,cds 1118284417.20.rome
    sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    vvrdg enabled,cds 1112837391.15.rome
    rome:/ # uname -a
    SunOS rome 5.9 Generic_112233-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
    rome:/ #

    rome:/ # vxdg deport italodg
    rome:/ # vxdg list
    NAME STATE ID
    vvrdg enabled,cds 1112837391.15.rome
    sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    rome:/ #

    *********** Now I jump onto the other machine

    milan:/ # vxdg list
    NAME STATE ID
    rootdg enabled 1118224888.15.milan
    sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    vvrdg enabled,cds 1112872544.24.milan

    ******
    ** Important to notice that the sharedg was actually created on rome,
    ** but is now imported on rome AND milan
    ******

    milan:/ # uname -a
    SunOS milan 5.9 Generic_112233-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

    *****
    ** Now we import the diskgroup that was deported on the "rome"
    ** machine. Please note that you have to clear the hostid flag
    ** with the -C option
    ******

    milan:/ # vxdg -C import italodg

    Heiko wrote:
    > Thank's for your quick help. I have a question about your answer. The diskgroup
    > id can not be changed, but why does ist change when I import the diskgroup
    > on another server? I think I saw this when I imported the diskgroup on another
    > testserver. When I import a diskgroup on another server with the option -C
    > only the HostID is changed and not the diskgroup ID, is this correct?
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>The name of the diskgroup is generated at time of creation. It can not
    >>be changed. The name at the back of the diskgroup id, can not be changed

    >>and has no effect on being able to import the diskgroup on a machine.
    >>
    >>You've done all the rest (no need to deport/import with the -h option,
    >>but no harm done)
    >>
    >>OK, just for you info, the name of the diskgroup is the following:
    >>
    >>timestamp.random-3-digit-number.hostname-the-dg-was-created-on
    >>

    >>The only way to get a new diskgroup id, is to re-create the diskgroup
    >>(in the case of rootdg, you most likely need to re-encapsulate the boot

    >>disk)
    >>

    >>OK, so how will you re-create a diskgroup (still don't think you need to

    >>do this, but what the heck)
    >>
    >>vxprint -mqQvpsg
    >>

    >>Save this in a file (say /var/keep)
    >>
    >>Then get a list of the disks being used in the diskgroup (best place is

    >>doing a vxprint -thg )
    >>
    >>Now, for all the disks in the diskgroup,
    >>
    >>vxdisk -f init
    >>
    >>then re-create the diskgroup:
    >>
    >>vxdg init disk_name=disk, disk_name=disk ........
    >>
    >>Then make the volumes, sub-disks, plexes
    >>

    >>vxmake -g -d
    >>

    >>And then you'll have a new diskgroup id, with the name of the host that

    >>it aws created on.
    >>
    >>(too much of a hassle if you ask me)

  5. Re: VxVM 3.5

    Thankyou very much, now I understand

    Me wrote:

    >Well, here Ihave 2 machines.
    >
    >The one is called "milan", the other is called "rome".
    >

    >Now, on these machines I have some strange diskgroups.
    >
    >Both have a diskgroup called vvrdg (this is a unique diskgroup on each
    >machine)
    >
    >I also have a shared diskgroup (this is a diskgroup that can be imported

    >on both machines at the same time).
    >

    >I then also have a diskgroup called "italodg", that I have created on
    >rome, and will deport and import on "milan".
    >

    >rome:/ # vxdg list
    >NAME STATE ID
    >italodg enabled,cds 1118284417.20.rome
    >sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    >vvrdg enabled,cds 1112837391.15.rome
    >rome:/ # uname -a
    >SunOS rome 5.9 Generic_112233-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
    >rome:/ #
    >
    >rome:/ # vxdg deport italodg
    >rome:/ # vxdg list
    >NAME STATE ID
    >vvrdg enabled,cds 1112837391.15.rome
    >sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    >rome:/ #
    >

    >*********** Now I jump onto the other machine
    >
    >milan:/ # vxdg list
    >NAME STATE ID
    >rootdg enabled 1118224888.15.milan
    >sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    >vvrdg enabled,cds 1112872544.24.milan
    >

    >******
    >** Important to notice that the sharedg was actually created on rome,
    >** but is now imported on rome AND milan
    >******
    >
    >milan:/ # uname -a
    >SunOS milan 5.9 Generic_112233-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
    >
    >*****
    >** Now we import the diskgroup that was deported on the "rome"
    >** machine. Please note that you have to clear the hostid flag
    >** with the -C option
    >******
    >
    >milan:/ # vxdg -C import italodg
    >milan:/ # vxdg list
    >NAME STATE ID
    >rootdg enabled 1118224888.15.milan
    >italodg enabled,cds 1118284417.20.rome
    >sharedg enabled,shared,cds 1114576140.19.rome
    >vvrdg enabled,cds 1112872544.24.milan

+ Reply to Thread