Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have a new Sun Fire V800 which I'm trying to use VxVM 4.1 to set up mirrored root disks from scratch. Can I have suggestions for where I can find some simple 'getting started' doc please? I'm getting nowhere ...

  1. Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800

    I have a new Sun Fire V800 which I'm trying to use VxVM 4.1 to set up mirrored
    root disks from scratch. Can I have suggestions for where I can find some
    simple 'getting started' doc please? I'm getting nowhere trying to use VxVM
    admin's guide: http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti...75-3712-10.pdf

  2. Re: Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800

    Sorry - make that Sun Fire V880!

    "Simon Page" wrote:

    >I have a new Sun Fire V800 which I'm trying to use VxVM 4.1 to set up mirrored
    >root disks from scratch. Can I have suggestions for where I can find some
    >simple 'getting started' doc please? I'm getting nowhere trying to use VxVM
    >admin's guide: http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti...75-3712-10.pdf

  3. Re: Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800

    Well, the first step is to encapsulate the boot disk (I would suggest
    using vxdiskadm option 2 for that). Machine will need to reboot twice.

    Then you would add a mirror disk. The first step is to put the disk
    under volume manager control (vxdiskadm option 1) and then add the
    mirror disk to the same diskgroup as you have done with the boot disk
    (this again, is all done with vxdiskadm option 1).

    Now you need to mirror the boot disk. Again you can use vxdiskadm. This
    time option 6.

    Simon Page wrote:
    > Sorry - make that Sun Fire V880!
    >
    > "Simon Page" wrote:
    >
    >>I have a new Sun Fire V800 which I'm trying to use VxVM 4.1 to set up mirrored
    >>root disks from scratch. Can I have suggestions for where I can find some
    >>simple 'getting started' doc please? I'm getting nowhere trying to use VxVM
    >>admin's guide: http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti...75-3712-10.pdf

  4. Re: Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800

    Hi 'me' - thanks for your response!

    My previous attempts at running vxdiskadm mean that I have the following
    situation:

    # vxdisk list
    DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
    c2t0d0s2 auto:sliced rootdisk rootdg online

    Can you tell me why I'm not seeing c1t0d0s2? I wanted to have c1t0d0s2 as
    the main disk and c2t0d0s2 as the mirror. And why am I seeing the word 'sliced'?

    Regards, Simon

    Me wrote:
    >Well, the first step is to encapsulate the boot disk (I would suggest
    >using vxdiskadm option 2 for that). Machine will need to reboot twice.
    >
    >Then you would add a mirror disk. The first step is to put the disk
    >under volume manager control (vxdiskadm option 1) and then add the
    >mirror disk to the same diskgroup as you have done with the boot disk
    >(this again, is all done with vxdiskadm option 1).
    >
    >Now you need to mirror the boot disk. Again you can use vxdiskadm. This

    >time option 6.
    >

    >Simon Page wrote:
    >> Sorry - make that Sun Fire V880!
    >>
    >> "Simon Page" wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a new Sun Fire V800 which I'm trying to use VxVM 4.1 to set up

    mirrored
    >>>root disks from scratch. Can I have suggestions for where I can find some
    >>>simple 'getting started' doc please? I'm getting nowhere trying to use

    VxVM
    >>>admin's guide: http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti...75-3712-10.pdf

  5. Re: Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800

    OK - here goes.

    The output means that your boot disk (c2t0d0)is already encapsulated.
    Volume Manager has put it into a diskgroup called rootdg.

    The "sliced" bit is the format (or layout) that Volume Manager has
    assigned to the disk. "sliced" means that the data (or public area) and
    the Volume Manager specific (also known as the private area) are kept in
    2 different slices on the disk.

    Now, what yu need to do (if this is your plan) is to add a nother disk
    to the disk group (vxdiskadm option 1) and then mirror your rootdisk to
    the new disk (vxdiskadm option 6).

    If you were planning to make c1t0d0 as your main disk and c2t0d0 as the
    mirror, then you will need to un-encapsulate the rootdisk, encapsulate
    the "main" disk and add the mirror.

    Simon Page wrote:
    > Hi 'me' - thanks for your response!
    >
    > My previous attempts at running vxdiskadm mean that I have the following
    > situation:
    >
    > # vxdisk list
    > DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
    > c2t0d0s2 auto:sliced rootdisk rootdg online
    > ..
    >
    > Can you tell me why I'm not seeing c1t0d0s2? I wanted to have c1t0d0s2 as
    > the main disk and c2t0d0s2 as the mirror. And why am I seeing the word 'sliced'?
    >
    > Regards, Simon
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>Well, the first step is to encapsulate the boot disk (I would suggest
    >>using vxdiskadm option 2 for that). Machine will need to reboot twice.
    >>
    >>Then you would add a mirror disk. The first step is to put the disk
    >>under volume manager control (vxdiskadm option 1) and then add the
    >>mirror disk to the same diskgroup as you have done with the boot disk
    >>(this again, is all done with vxdiskadm option 1).
    >>
    >>Now you need to mirror the boot disk. Again you can use vxdiskadm. This

    >>time option 6.
    >>

    >>Simon Page wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sorry - make that Sun Fire V880!

    > mirrored

    > VxVM

  6. Re: Need help setting up mirrored root disks on new Sun Fire V800

    Excellent. All understood and ok now. Many thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread