Error when starting vea gui. - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Error when starting vea gui. - Veritas Volume Manager ; We have a Solaris V480 server running 5.9 and Veritas 3.5. When I try to start up the gui on this system by running /opt/VRTSob/bin/vea, I get the gui like normal, but when I try to connect to the server ...

  1. Error when starting vea gui.

    We have a Solaris V480 server running 5.9 and Veritas 3.5. When I try to start
    up the gui on this system by running /opt/VRTSob/bin/vea, I get the gui like
    normal, but when I try to connect to the server to view the volumns I enter
    the server name and the root password and the error "Error while connecting
    to server dsmdwt01. Could not connect to server. Server may be down." appears
    on the gui.

    I run ps -ef | grep vx and see that the /opt/VRTSob/bin/vxsvc -r /opt/VRTSobconfig/Registry
    line is missing from the other veritas processes.

    When I try to start this process it won't start. It doesn't generate any
    errors that I canfind, but it just doesn't run.

    A little history on this is that this worked up until recently and we also
    notice that we are a couple of revisions behind on the most recent patch
    for Veritas on this server.

    Do you think the problem will be corrected by installing the patch and rebooting
    or can we force the process to run and allow us to connect to the server?

    Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.
    Rick.

  2. Re: Error when starting vea gui.

    It could be that the server is not running or the routing is incorrect.

    Steps to check that the server is running:

    1. /opt/VRTSob/bin/vxsvc -m
    This will check the status of the server. It should be in the
    running state.

    Example:

    # /opt/VRTSob/bin/vxsvc -m
    Current state of server : RUNNING

    To start the server : /etc/init.d/isisd start

    2. netstat -an | grep 2148
    This checks for the listener on port 2148. It shows the IP address
    the server is listening to (or * for all).
    The output should look something like:

    *.2148 Idle
    *.2148 Idle
    *.2148 *.* 0 0 49152
    0 LISTEN

    3. Also check the log file for the server (/var/vx/isis/vxisis.log) for
    any error indication.

    4. telnet to the port (2148) on the server to check if the server
    establishes the connection

    You should get something like this on a host with the name "astrix":

    # telnet astrix 2148
    Trying 10.251.56.157...
    Connected to 10.251.56.157.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    (Ctrl and ] and then quit to get out of the telnet session)

    If the server is running correctly, you might need to debug the VEA
    client with the following 2 commands:

    # script /tmp/vea.debug
    # /opt/VRTSob/bin/vea -d

    Steps to check the routing:

    1. netstat -rn to get the routing info. Look for the default gateway,
    and try to ping this.

    Example of getting the default gateway and pinging it:

    # netstat -rn

    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    10.251.56.0 10.251.56.157 U 1 4 eri0
    224.0.0.0 10.251.56.157 U 1 0 eri0
    default 10.251.56.1 UG 1 4
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 29 1673 lo0

    The default can be seen from the output above (gateway is 10.251.56.1).

    And now ping to test if this is alive:

    # ping 10.251.56.1
    10.251.56.1 is alive

    2. Get the IP info for the server machine :
    ipconfig -a

    Check for the IP address and how it will be routed.

    3. Get the hostname in the /etc/hosts file.

    4. Get name resolution information in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Make sure the
    host name is resolved via the hosts file first or that the entry for
    this host is in the NIS, NIS+ or DNS server.

    Rick wrote:
    > We have a Solaris V480 server running 5.9 and Veritas 3.5. When I try to start
    > up the gui on this system by running /opt/VRTSob/bin/vea, I get the gui like
    > normal, but when I try to connect to the server to view the volumns I enter
    > the server name and the root password and the error "Error while connecting
    > to server dsmdwt01. Could not connect to server. Server may be down." appears
    > on the gui.
    >
    > I run ps -ef | grep vx and see that the /opt/VRTSob/bin/vxsvc -r /opt/VRTSobconfig/Registry
    > line is missing from the other veritas processes.
    >
    > When I try to start this process it won't start. It doesn't generate any
    > errors that I canfind, but it just doesn't run.
    >
    > A little history on this is that this worked up until recently and we also
    > notice that we are a couple of revisions behind on the most recent patch
    > for Veritas on this server.
    >
    > Do you think the problem will be corrected by installing the patch and rebooting
    > or can we force the process to run and allow us to connect to the server?
    >

    > Your help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Rick.

+ Reply to Thread