Recommended Solaris 8 /etc/system - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Recommended Solaris 8 /etc/system - Veritas Volume Manager ; what are the best performance setting with Volume Manger 3.5 running on Solaris 8? I have done some bench testing on a V880 and "dd" testing with 1 internal fiber controller with a 5 Column Stripe with a 1M stripe ...

  1. Recommended Solaris 8 /etc/system

    what are the best performance setting with Volume Manger 3.5 running on Solaris
    8? I have done some bench testing on a V880 and "dd" testing with 1 internal
    fiber controller with a 5 Column Stripe with a 1M stripe width and got 97MB/s
    which is close to the theoretical on a 1Gb internal controller. I was wondering
    why Volume Manger when creating a mirror for the stripe seems to only transfer
    about 5MB per device totaling 50MB/s? Here is what i have in the /etc/system.
    for those that do not like "dd" i have also used "iozone" for bench testing
    so I feel comfortable that the bandwidth is there but the OS is not using
    it to its maximum potential.

    set rpcmod:svc_default_stksize=0x6000
    set lwp_default_stksize=0x6000
    set vxio:vol_maxio=65535
    set maxphys=8388608

    Are there any more recommendations?

  2. Re: Recommended Solaris 8 /etc/system

    Here is more information from vxtunefs
    Filesystem i/o parameters for /oragroup0
    read_pref_io = 1048576
    read_nstream = 5
    read_unit_io = 1048576
    write_pref_io = 1048576
    write_nstream = 5
    write_unit_io = 1048576
    pref_strength = 20
    buf_breakup_size = 33553920
    discovered_direct_iosz = 1073741824
    max_direct_iosz = 33553920
    default_indir_size = 8192
    qio_cache_enable = 1
    write_throttle = 495616
    max_diskq = 1073741824
    initial_extent_size = 8
    max_seqio_extent_size = 2048
    max_buf_data_size = 8192
    hsm_write_prealloc = 0

    "Roland" wrote:

    >what are the best performance setting with Volume Manger 3.5 running on

    Solaris
    >8? I have done some bench testing on a V880 and "dd" testing with 1 internal
    >fiber controller with a 5 Column Stripe with a 1M stripe width and got 97MB/s
    >which is close to the theoretical on a 1Gb internal controller. I was wondering
    >why Volume Manger when creating a mirror for the stripe seems to only transfer
    >about 5MB per device totaling 50MB/s? Here is what i have in the /etc/system.
    >for those that do not like "dd" i have also used "iozone" for bench testing
    >so I feel comfortable that the bandwidth is there but the OS is not using
    >it to its maximum potential.
    >
    >set rpcmod:svc_default_stksize=0x6000
    >set lwp_default_stksize=0x6000
    >set vxio:vol_maxio=65535