failed disk is online in veritas??? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on failed disk is online in veritas??? - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have a disk in a sun d1000 that has failed, but vxdisk list still shows it as online. any reason it doesn't show failed?...

  1. failed disk is online in veritas???

    I have a disk in a sun d1000 that has failed, but vxdisk list still shows
    it as
    online. any reason it doesn't show failed?

  2. Re: failed disk is online in veritas???

    2 questions:

    1. how do you know the external drive has failed ? Do you see any
    messages in the /var/adm/messages file ? Do you see any DMP messages in
    the file ?

    2. is the disk actually being used by Volume Manager in any volume ?

    Let me explain. Veritas does not check each disk just for the hell of
    it. It will only react when the scsi layer (teh sd layer) tells it about
    a failed disk.

    The only time that Veritas will take action, is when a disk is being
    used in a volume, and Volume Manager tries to read or write to/from the
    disk, and it fails

    scott wrote:
    > I have a disk in a sun d1000 that has failed, but vxdisk list still shows
    > it as
    > online. any reason it doesn't show failed?

+ Reply to Thread