Retaining Size during Relayout of Volume - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Retaining Size during Relayout of Volume - Veritas Volume Manager ; I am getting ready to change the number of striped colums on a volume and noticed that one of the options was "retain volume size at completion". I guess I have two questions: Why wouldn't I want to do this? ...

  1. Retaining Size during Relayout of Volume

    I am getting ready to change the number of striped colums on a volume and
    noticed that one of the options was "retain volume size at completion".

    I guess I have two questions:
    Why wouldn't I want to do this?
    If I don't check it will my volume size change?

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Retaining Size during Relayout of Volume

    Say you have 4 36GB disks in a striped volume (total size = 4 x 36 = 144
    GB). Now you add another 36GB disk and re-layout to a 5 column stripe.
    The effect will be that the space used on each disk will be less than it
    was (if you keep the volume size the same), but the total volume size
    will stay the same. So, each disk will now have (144GB / 5) 28.8GB of
    data (and a gap of 7.2GB). So, will you ever use this space ?? Not
    likely, unless you grow the volume. That is why the option.

    The default is not to change (if you use the command line)

    Patrick wrote:
    > I am getting ready to change the number of striped colums on a volume and
    > noticed that one of the options was "retain volume size at completion".
    >

    > I guess I have two questions:
    > Why wouldn't I want to do this?
    > If I don't check it will my volume size change?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Retaining Size during Relayout of Volume

    Thanks, that was just the information I was looking for. In your example,
    if I check the box I will have 144GB over 5 disks instead of 4. However,
    just for completeness, if I don't check the box how will it be configured?
    Does it grow the volume automatically to 5x36GB (180GB)?

    Me wrote:
    >Say you have 4 36GB disks in a striped volume (total size = 4 x 36 = 144

    >GB). Now you add another 36GB disk and re-layout to a 5 column stripe.
    >The effect will be that the space used on each disk will be less than it

    >was (if you keep the volume size the same), but the total volume size
    >will stay the same. So, each disk will now have (144GB / 5) 28.8GB of
    >data (and a gap of 7.2GB). So, will you ever use this space ?? Not
    >likely, unless you grow the volume. That is why the option.
    >
    >The default is not to change (if you use the command line)
    >
    >Patrick wrote:
    >> I am getting ready to change the number of striped colums on a volume

    and
    >> noticed that one of the options was "retain volume size at completion".

    >> I guess I have two questions:
    >> Why wouldn't I want to do this?
    >> If I don't check it will my volume size change?
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >> Thanks.

  4. Re: Retaining Size during Relayout of Volume

    yep - will grow the volume.

    So in my example, it will be 5 x 36 = 180GB

    Patrick wrote:
    > Thanks, that was just the information I was looking for. In your example,
    > if I check the box I will have 144GB over 5 disks instead of 4. However,
    > just for completeness, if I don't check the box how will it be configured?
    > Does it grow the volume automatically to 5x36GB (180GB)?
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >>Say you have 4 36GB disks in a striped volume (total size = 4 x 36 = 144

    >>GB). Now you add another 36GB disk and re-layout to a 5 column stripe.
    >>The effect will be that the space used on each disk will be less than it

    >>was (if you keep the volume size the same), but the total volume size
    >>will stay the same. So, each disk will now have (144GB / 5) 28.8GB of
    >>data (and a gap of 7.2GB). So, will you ever use this space ?? Not
    >>likely, unless you grow the volume. That is why the option.
    >>
    >>The default is not to change (if you use the command line)
    >>
    >>Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am getting ready to change the number of striped colums on a volume

    > and
    >
    >>>noticed that one of the options was "retain volume size at completion".

    >>>I guess I have two questions:
    >>>Why wouldn't I want to do this?
    >>>If I don't check it will my volume size change?
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread